Can reflected sunlight help grass grow in a shady spot?

Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

whiteangel
City: Lahore

Can reflected sunlight help grass grow in a shady spot?

Post by whiteangel »

Hi,

I have a shady spot in my lawn. It only gets sunlight for about an hour every day so the Bermuda grass doesn't grow well and the patch remains bald. Could I use a reflector to deflect sunlight and light up the shady spot?

Will it help the grass grow, or does grass need direct sunlight?
Muhammad Bilal
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Learner... Wished to be a well skilled Horticulturist.

Re: Can reflected sunlight help grass grow in a shady spot?

Post by Muhammad Bilal »

I m not sure but I think direct sunlight is not necessary for the growth of lawn grasses. As grasses can make its food in the day light too (not direct sunlight is necessary). If it is getting enough light (not direct sunlight) then the causes of patches many be some another, Like excess water standing over there ( also bad drainage) or no watering there, nitrogen burn or its casual agent also may be a pathogen.

Lets what other suggest.
Learn & Share
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

whiteangel wrote:I have a shady spot in my lawn. It only gets sunlight for about an hour every day so the Bermuda grass doesn't grow well and the patch remains bald. Could I use a reflector to deflect sunlight and light up the shady spot?

Will it help the grass grow, or does grass need direct sunlight?
Well, there is no difference in direct sunlight vs. reflected sunlight from a mirror. In principle, it may be a nice idea but engineering wise it is a headache for a home gardener. The bad news is that the reflector will work for a short period of time. The reflector has to follow the direction of the Sun which keeps on changing.
whiteangel
City: Lahore

Post by whiteangel »

Just across the shady spot, I get good light for at least 6 hours a day. So If I put a reflective surface over there it will give good light for at least a few hours. I was also thinking of something like a concave mirror. The kind they use to help drivers navigate on blind corners up in the hills. Because it will be concave, it might do a better job of spreading the light.

It's an experiment, it might work, it might not, let's see.

Return to “Lawn/Grass”