My lawn

Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

My lawn

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Some time back there was lot of discussion on which grass is best for the lawn. The American, the Korean, Bermuda and fine Dhaka were discussed and so must have been grown.
I think it would be of great help if each of us was to up date on there lawns/grass.
My grass

Cost = 0, Taken from the road side in front of my house.
Arif
farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Re: My lawn

Post by farah fayyaz »

And what about the grass in first picture. So lush.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Sir, have you made changes in your garden?? it was different when i came last year..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

farah fayyaz wrote:And what about the grass in first picture. So lush.
The same.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Izhar wrote:Sir, have you made changes in your garden?? it was different when i came last year..
Many a water has flown under the bridge since then.The swimming pool and the path on the NE has left me with a very little space for garden. Annuals along with some vines are now grown in containers only, non the less it is getting more interesting. :) .
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Your lawn grass is so lush...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Mustansir Billah wrote:Your lawn grass is so lush...
I water it ever other day and move it twice a week with regularly irregular weeding (mostly other grasses).
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Waiting for response from those who elected to grow American & Korean or any other grasses.
Arif
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Sir, kindly have a look at the grass in background, its American:

Earlier, after 2 months of planting:

KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
My grass

Cost = 0, Taken from the road side in front of my house.
Arif
Sir...... If I may narrate an old incident.

A good friend who was fond of gardening once visited my house when I was living in Kashmir and was extremely impressed to see a very lush green lawn. He asked me which grass is this. I told him a complicated botanical name and that I have imported this expensive grass from Germany. He was even more impressed and said that he already knew that this is an imported grass. "You get what you pay for", was the CONCLUSIVE comment made by my friend. And of course he also asked me to arrange the same grass for his lawn.

In the evening we went for walk in the nearby hills and I showed my friend the grass growing wildly in the jungle. During rains, it had grown quite big and irregular with ugly looking insignificant flowers. How do you like this grass for your lawn? I asked my friend. He gave me a dirty look and said, "are you joking"? I told my friend that I am absolutely serious because he has asked for it. Why would I ask for Jangli ghas for my lawn, he said. And when I told my friend that it is the same grass that he saw in my lawn, my friend didn't believe it till the time I showed him the grass in detail and told him that the only difference in this grass and the one in my lawn is that the one in the lawn is properly mowed, fertilized and watered whereas the one in jungle is growing wild.... that's all.

The native grasses that grow naturally in Pakistan, when given proper care and attention, perform far better than the imported grasses with minimum care and as Brig sahib mentioned, "Cost = 0". And you would find a local grass growing even in a desert. I have tried them many times in different areas and it has worked every time for me. There are many of them in different areas..... the only thing one needs to have is an eye to appreciate its shape and texture in the mowed form because in nature, one would normally come across a large size deshaped plant which would look quite different from mowed grass.

regards

Return to “Lawn/Grass”