Top dressing my Lawn

Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

newton
City: jhelum

Top dressing my Lawn

Post by newton »

Salaams

I am In Jhelum Pakistan for a few more days and I have noticed that my lawn (of fine dhaka) is getting slight bumps and dips. I am considering top dressing it now so that the area is somewhat levelled and the grass gets new organic matter at the soil level.

The mixture I use in the UK is 1 part coarse sand to 1 part loam and 1/2 part well rotted dried manure, generally sieved through a quarter inch mesh. The grass is closely mowed first and the mixture sprinkled across and brushed in, ensuring at least 50% of the grass leaf is still exposed above the topdressing so that it does not suffocate and die underneath. Generally no more than 1/4 inch dressing at a time.

I've noticed not very many people use this technique of improving the lawns. My first instinct is to use the locally available coarse aggregate builders sand, loam, and rotted dried cow manure. I have got conflicting advice from the mali i.e sand will overheat and bake the grass during the hot season. The loam/manure will introduce unmanageable weeds.

What recipe mixture am i best using in Pakistan. Any experienced members able to give their practical experience please
talha.bin.ayub

Re: Top dressing my Lawn

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Builders sand when mixed with Loam and manure won't bake anything hopefully. Your idea seems very viable. Wait for more educated replies

Sent from TBA iPhone using Tapatalk
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

use silt rather than sand......well rotted manure which is finely broken down
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

There is no improvement over your practice. 8-)

Return to “Lawn/Grass”