Discussion on Grasses

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Thatch problem in lawn.

Post by aykhan »

I am having thatch problem in my lawn as you can see from the picture. I had the mail rake it out. I plan to fertilize with Urea and NPK now. Any advice as to how I can avoid this problem in the future? Is this something you have to live with and have the lawn raked every year or so?
Attachments
photo2.jpg
UMAR KHAN

Re: Thatch problem in lawn.

Post by UMAR KHAN »

AoA Dr sb.if the Lahore,s nights are getting cool day by day,its natural.the grass is going into dormancy.please let it rest in the winter.when it turn yellow,brown then feed it with a fertilizer which have less nitrogen,more Phosphorus.DAP is ideal as its first number is lesser than the second.nitrogen stimulates green growth,frost will kill it.Phosphorus will make strong the roots which will ensure rapid growth as the spring arrives.once the spring arrives feed grass with urea(N) granular.spray a good quality micro nutrients foliar spray(tonic).i can see some roses pruned in your flower beds.Dr sb in pruning roses time factor plays great roll.i think frost has not been started in Lahore.so its too early to prune them.actually pruning stimulates the buds to sprout.the new buds are very soft,easily killed by frost.keep in mind when you are pruning what will be the status of frost,when the buds will sprout.if you think after two weeks danger of frost will be past,prune roses.feed them with old cow manure & NPK(in case NPK is not avlble use DAP).
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Khan saheb I wanted to prune roses later but fungus forced me to prune earlier. Lahore winters are getting cooler in the past few years but chances of frost are still less. Hopefully the new buds will be stronger before any frost comes which will likely be sometime in January which nowadays seems to be our coldest month.
I was planning to put DAP in the grass but when I went to buy it from chanandins a very senior retired horticulturalist who happened to be there said that I should feed with urea and NPK and said DAP has ruined our soil and should not be used!
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Dr sb ,the basics are same.urea,DAP or NPK all are inorganic fertilizers.if we use it too much its bad for the soil.but if we use it after long intervals then its not that so bad.all are basically chemicals.Feed Lawn with DAP.see the result in spring.lush green grass.actually there are fillers in every chemical(in granular form) which ruin the soil if the inorganic fertilizers are frequently used.this is the case with our farming sector.unfortunately our horticulturists don,t know the ABC of floriculture.feed Roses with DAP & enjoy the large blooms.Everything has dual aspect.if you give double dose of antibiotic & the patient dies.then what should we say that stop antibiotics.i do not trust horticulturist in my country.thats the simple reason i do not even like the so called Pakistan Horticulture society.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

DR sb to my limited knowledge frost also may kill the flower buds of roses.i love your Amaryllis.shift your Amaryllis to pots so they become root bound.it rapids the multiplication of bulbs specially in doubles.leave the singles in ground un disturb.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Khan saheb DAP it is then :) I'm not certain I want to risk pulling out the amaryllis right now, they seem to be doing well and I'm a little uncomfortable pulling them out with wont coming.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

no don,t pull out the Amaryllis now.let them flower.Dr sb i,l recommend leave the singles in the ground for ever.they naturalise & give best impact when they multiply.i was only telling you about the doubles.don,t even pull out the doubles at this stage.its good you brought them from US.here the bulbs are not guranteed.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

What type of mower are you useing? A little thatch is good for the lawn.
This link has the information you are looking for.
Http://www.clemson.edu/hgic/plants/land ... c1201.html
I am sure it will make you wiser.
Our Dhaka grass is Bermuda Grass.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

I use an electeric mower. Nice article. What do you think will be the name of the Korean grass I have in my lawn?
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

AoA Dr sb actually Korean grass real name is Korean grass.the other grasses e.g Dhaka,fine Dhaka,American,china grass are all the different types of Bermuda grass.Bermuda is the same grass you see in foot ball grounds,golf courses or in other sports.so its also popular for sports.Korean grass is specifically a ground cover,not a lawn grass or turf.the reason is it develops so many bumps.
i could not understand why our nursery men mislead us & say its American,Dhaka grass.giving their own names.
Dr sb let your grass take some rest in the winter months.

Return to “Lawn/Grass”