Cut Flower Chrysanthemums

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Cut Flower Chrysanthemums

Post by mikhurram »

My Green Chrysanthemum is currently blooming profusely which is quite surprising as the first bloom was experienced around middle of December 2012. They are only supposed to bloom once in an year.
Attachments
green2.jpg
Green1.jpg
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

That is really astonishing as Mums require certain night/day length to flower which ofcourse is not these days....
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Excellent collection, 20-25 years ago I was a great fan of MUMs and had an extensive collection of both large and small varieties and now I have none.
The effort is too much and the pleasure too short.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Arif Sahib i beg to differ slightly. The bloom time is atleast 2 weeks almost similar to Amaryllis bloom duration and they tend to propogate quickly. Its true that compared to bulbs one has to more vigilant keeping an eye on mites, aphids and leaf miner. They tend to brighten up the atmosphere during the cold winters and herald the beginning to spring. i remember reading a following on an indian gardening website some years back that
"Florist’s Mum is one of the best plants for removing formaldehyde, benzene and ammonia from the atmosphere. Its overall rating is 7.4 on a count of 10: for the removal of chemical vapours (nine), for ease of growth (four), for resistance to insect infestation (eight) and transpiration rate (eight). (source: NASA research)"
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2007/200708 ... garden.htm

Sir i believe by focusing on few varieties they can a real delight in the garden. One of the benefits of the cut chrysanthemums is that they comparatively require less stalking compared to the varieties shown in shows and the blooms are more. The yellow variety is a dwarf variety and does not require any support.

I intend to further cut down this selection and make some cuttings in July and would be happy to share.

regards
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

I would second....Mums bloom when nothing else is blooming in our climate with every plant giving atleast half a dozen babies in spring. But again Mums, Amaryllis and roses have to be kept for an year for subsequent blooms :-)..
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Imran, I would love to have ones that do not require stalking, Keep me in, will collect when ever you say.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Sir, the yellow dwarf and brown variety variety do not require any stalking. Others require less stalking. Shall try to grow some from cuttings in July or remove suckers around this time. Please let me know which colours you like. Would give this plants to you. Hopefully they ought to bloom in November/December.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

khurram your mums collection is great and nice way of collecting exotic varieties of mum really impressive
Love it!!
Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
omerkhalid
Gardening Interests: Love to grow all types of plants especially Vines, Succulents, bulbs and many more

Post by omerkhalid »

Hi, i just came across the site today and fell in love with it :) i have be looking for a opportunity to get in touch with plants lovers in Lahore. I have just checked a little bit of posts and they are just beautiful, your mums are beautiful and being a novice in the field i am tempted to get my hands on as many as i can so please place me in your list whenever you are going to distribute these beauties, i would love to have the green mums.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

How are these beauties performing nowadays?

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”