Cut Flower Chrysanthemums

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Cut Flower Chrysanthemums

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

The orange one is so beautiful.Khurram sb Mums are not easy to care other wise they have no match.So many colors,shapes,bloom sizes & color combinations but a man like me just drop it because the great care specially in moonsoon. I love the giant decoratives. Another thing the floral display time is very short.Golds are really so long blooming.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Lovely Mums.
rabia
City: gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Flowering bulbs,Succulents and Cacti,Kitchen gardening,Seasonal flowers ...etc

Post by rabia »

Breathtaking pictures !!! Lovely, cute flowers...
saqib
City: Gujranwala
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Perennials,Bulbs

Post by saqib »

beauties ,,, good effort
i am waiting my chrysanthemums to bloom :))))))
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by UMARKHANMARDAN » November 19th, 2013.
Mums are not easy to care other wise they have no match.So many colors,shapes,bloom sizes & color combinations but a man like me just drop it because the great care specially in moonsoon. I love the giant decoratives. Another thing the floral display time is very short.Golds are really so long blooming.
Khan sahib you are right that they do require care espcially during the monsoon and even these days they are attacked by pests. The reason i prefer them is that their display can be enjoyed during this month while amongst the spring annuals only the full display of Marigolds can currently be enjoyed while other spring annuals are gearing up for their display in the coming months. I tend to focus on few selected varieties of Mums which i have grown by propogating imported Mums cuttings bought from Florist shops. As an insurance against casulties in Monsoon stocks of Mums can be increased by taking cuttings/suckers in July/August.

Mums are very beneficial for health.
"Florist’s Mum is one of the best plants for removing formaldehyde, benzene and ammonia from the atmosphere. Its overall rating is 7.4 on a count of 10: for the removal of chemical vapours (nine), for ease of growth (four), for resistance to insect infestation (eight) and transpiration rate (eight). (source: NASA research)"
Source: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2007/200708 ... garden.htm

Last edited by mikhurram on November 25th, 2013, 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Astonishing view!
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

The Mums in the third picture are so beautiful.Khurram sb when should i plant cuttings of the florist mums.How will they root.Its new to me that Mums can be propegated like this.I thought they are only propagated from suckers.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

very beautiful mums ...especially orange and green..they are lovely plants.
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Normaly mums looks great in any form either single or double. Your green ones are unique and beautiful.
Rafique
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by UMARKHANMARDAN » November 25th, 2013, 6:56 pm
when should i plant cuttings of the florist mums.How will they root.Its new to me that Mums can be propegated like this.I thought they are only propagated from suckers.
Propagating Mums from cuttings is expensive and time consuming with success ratio around 35%. The reason the success ratio is low is that even if a cutting is able to root then there's always the chance the fungal diseases may attack the newly rooted cuttings. Majority of my cuttings (2/3rd which had rooted) were wiped out by fungus. Around July/August is the best time to take cuttings. The cuttings can also be propagated around Feb/March but there's always the danger of these cuttings getting effected by fungus.

Nevertheless cuttings is the best way to propagate as some of the colours/shapes are normally not available in our local nurseries. In Holland where all the new varieties of Mums are created, companies charge a royalty fee for each particular cultivar of chrysanthemum or other plants sold.

Was reading somewhere that pyrethrins which are natural neurtoxins that have insect repellent properties are normally derived from Chrysanthemum and some % of pyrethrins are used commonly in insect sprays in Europe/U.S.A.

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”