Clematis

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Clematis

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

A plant on my wish list. we should all try to propagate and popularise it.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Clematis Alba Luxurians & Josephine. I am obliged to Waheed Malik Sahib who was very kind and gracious to carry them in his luggage.
Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

Both are well grown and healthy. Josephine is my favorite and hope it will become the most popular clematis in your garden.
Kaleem
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Nice clematis cultivars Imran sb :)

Will they take the heat of Lahore or Rawalpindi ? Do they require any special treatment in different seasons ?
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Clematis from Viticella Group which are deciduous and evergreen clematis are more heat resistant. Also 'Sweet Autumn Clematis' is also quite heat resistant. I have written some notes about them which can be seen in the url below.
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=1773&start=80

Most important is to select the right variety preferably from Viticella Group and provide the right medium and location.

Among these two one is from Viticella Group (Alba Luxurians) which ought to fare well against the heat and the 2nd type from Jackamani Group (Josephine) is not as vigorous as Alba Luxurians but was purchased based on it's unique flower colour/shape.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:A plant on my wish list. we should all try to propagate and popularise it.
Is it a plant of type "Plant and forget" ? As far as i know, you only like those plants which are of type "Plant and Forget".

I think this vine is not common because of its very high prices and i am sure it will be more common when its prices will come down some day. Another reason is the common belief that it requires cool temps to grow.

Even those who have mature plants are hesitant to share the cuttings :P
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Imran sb, i read the whole topic from the first page... My GOD these are exceptional beauties and you seem to be very well versed with Clematis :D

am thinking to add one, please recommend a good variety for container...will plant if is available locally :)
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

There are some varieties of clematis that grow wild in Murree and Sweet Autumn Clematis can be grown easily from seeds which can be obtained from Kaleem Sahib after their flowering around the end of September or from cuttings in October.

I would recommend growing any clematis from Viticella Group (having Etoile Violet, Madame Julia Correvon, Polish Spirit etc). Compared to other clematis varieties the ones from the Viticella group flower more profusely, tolerate our heat better and are not susceptible to Clematis wilt

I shall try to propagate some during the monsoon.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Khabbab, Price is on availability and demand, I paid a good amount on Passiflora Quad... and very first year I got Four layerings, two I have planted at Thokar, one was gifted away and one is waiting for some one to adopt.
And so is the case with many other plants.
Yes plant and forget is my view but some special plants do get special treatment.
Arif
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Great sir g I also intend to give clematis a try. Hopefully this year I will plant one.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”