Bearded Iris

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Bearded Iris

Post by mikhurram »

Bearded Iris are fussy plants. Given the right soil condition, they can thrive. Some are rebloomers such as Mariposa Skies and Harvest of Memories which twice in an year (Autumn and Spring).
Attachments
Harvest of Memories (Rebloomer)
Harvest of Memories (Rebloomer)
Mariposa Skies (Rebloomer)
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Bearded Iris

Post by mikhurram »

Some photos of Night Ruler which bloomed today.
Attachments
Night Ruler
Night Ruler
Night Ruler
Night Ruler
White indigenous Iris of NWFP also found in Blue colour
White indigenous Iris of NWFP also found in Blue colour
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Great show, in Lahore they do best in the ground or the pots? if pots what size of pot do you recommend.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

if the soil bed is higher than the ground level with good drainage with sunshine from morning till noon and shade from 12-am onwards, then this would be the ideal place.

These irises were originally planted in a high ground but the soil was too compact. Consequently the bulbs started rotting during the monsoon season. Then i had to retrieve the bulbs and put them in 14 inch pots. Some varieties like 'Mariposa Skies' and 'Night Ruler' took 2 years to bloom and some like 'Harvest of Memories' being a rebloomer iris bloomed twice during the year (Autumn and Spring).

Personally i feel it is better to plant them in 14 inch pots and keep them there for atleast 2 years and then plant them in a higher bed with good drainage. Having them in pots gives a flexibility to shift their location if confronted with hot summer afternoon or wet spell during the monsoon which can rot the rhizomes.
Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

Beautiful flowers, size and colors.
Mariposa Skies
Night Ruler

are my favorit , thanks for sharing
Kaleem
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

i forget to mention that Bhul Patta mix added with perlite is a good mixture for Bearded Irises.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

True about rotting in monsoon. I had small fans in the ground, slightly raised bed and they took the heat well. However I lost a few from rot in the monsoon. I'm sticking to keeping them in the ground this year and if there is more rain again then will consider putting them in pots.

All of mine are reblooming but some have not yet bloomed after a year and are very slow to grow as well as short. Others seem to be doing well and have bloomed a couple of times already.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

The bloom times of Bearded Iris tend to last only for 2-3 days which is a major disappointment.

Bloom period of Louisiana Irises bloom periods tend to last for at-least 8-10 days. Plus they are ideal for our clay soils which tend to retain moisture which suits them. Tendency to rot is almost zero as thrive in water.

Rather than indulging money on Bearded Irises, i would rather buy Louisiana Irises which are more suitable for our terrain.
Attachments
Harvest of Memories
Harvest of Memories
Harvest of Memories
Harvest of Memories
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

My harvest of memories hasn't flowered in admire than a year! It's in the ground. Maybe I should shift it Ina pot? You must be doing something different to have them all blooming right now. Please explain your medium, light, watering pattern and fertilization if any.
Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

Beautiful yellow color.
Kaleem

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”