Bearded Iris

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Bearded Iris

Post by mikhurram »

The yellow is a rebloomer but the bloom duration is a major disappointment which is merely 2-3 days.

Mine "Harvest of Memories" took 2 years to establish itself. Don't disturb the plant but check periodically to see if the rhizome is not rotting. The best medium is bhul patta mix along with perlite is a pot. Slow release fertlizer granules like osmocote can also be added.

If growing in bed then adding granules of superphosphate at time of planting are helpful.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

This year i have experimented with two different potting mixtures for my Bearded Irises. The first mixture was prepared in haste in August when the monsoon season was at its peak. At that time all kinds of potting mixtures available in nurseries were wet and i was able to find some of Karachi Sand and leaf mold which luckily were dry and mixed them together reluctantly as choice was limited and the irises would have rotted if they had not been planted. Approximately 80% of the bearded irises planted in this mix survived.
In October i prepared the same potting mix used for Kniphofia which consisted of 70% coarse sand (Lawrencepur Sand) and 30% imported compost (John Innes Compost). Reason for choosing imported compost was to minimize the chances of fungus which often be experienced with local compost. The second mixture in my opinion is better suited for Bearded Irises. Here are some shots of Bearded Irises growing in both these mixtures. The challenge is not growing Bearded Irises but ensuring their survival in subsequent years.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

The first to bloom which seems to be Edith Wolford cultivar and the growth appears to have stalled. The rhizome got buried a bit deep and the soil would be removed from the surface during the weekend in all pots by at-least an inch to prevent rotting and this hopefully would encourage rhizomes to sprout from sideways.
Asim_Nawaz
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Lovely...
Great job khurram Sb.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Bearded Iris gearing up for their display.

Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

All are imported rizhoms and in the start every plant doesn't feel comfortable in new atmosphere and medium but your rizhoms are healthy and synchronized with new weather cycle now.
May we know their names?
Kaleem
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Kaleem Sahib their names are as follows:

1. Mariposa Skies
2. Edith Wolford
3. English Charm
4. Immortality
5. Total Recall
6. Sea of Love
7. Supreme Sultan
8. Batik
9. Tropical Evening.
10. Mariposa Wizard
11. Florentine Silk
12. Designer Art
13. Ananconda Love
14. Whitewater Rapids
15. Ziggy
16. Edge of the World
17. Silk Road
18. Fall Fiesta
19. Bewilderbeast
20. GNUS Flash
21. Secret Service.

and two or three other varieties whose name i can't recall. Around 10 other varieties perished during years of trial and experimentation with the right medium.

Regards,
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

After many years of experimenting with various types of medium i have finally determined the ideal medium for Bearded Iris which should be 1/3 bhall, 1/3 fine sand and 1/3 compost (preferably imported). Two among my irises bloomed this year.

Bearded Iris 'Gnus Flash'.

Fragrant Bearded Iris 'Mariposa Skies'.

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”