Heliconia

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Heliconia

Post by mikhurram »

Heliconia contain a diverse range of flowers in various shapes and sizes. Lately nurseries have been importing it from Thailand in increasing numbers. It requires even and constant temperature. The thick leaf varieties will tolerate heat up to 100 F . The optimum temperatures for bromeliads range from 70 to 90 F during daytime to 45 - 60 F at night.High humidity and good air circulation are important to the good health of bromeliads. Mist often if humidity is low.

Can be grown more successfully in pots in Karachi & Coastal regions. Do much better in filtered light and require protection from hot afternoon sun during the summers and well as cold during the winter months of December and January in Punjab and upper regions. If grown in a pot then recommended to place it in a greenhouse during these cold months.
Attachments
bromeliads.jpg
bromeliad-2.jpg
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Bromeliads

Post by M Farooq »

Khurram sahab, I think these are heliconias (a different family from Bromeliads = pineapple family).

Could you post a cleaner picture please? We will create an entry for this plant in the plant database for future reference.

Thanks.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Bromeliads

Post by mikhurram »

Yes right you are. It is indeed a heliconia. Shall request Farhan to change the title from Bromeliad to Heliconia. In case Farhan if you come across this post please change the title from Bromeliad to Heliconia. Thank you for pointing out the error. Unfortunately i only have these pictures at the moment. Shall try to capture a more clearer picture in the future.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: Heliconia

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

changed
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Thank you farhan. I truly appreciate you taking the time.

Regarding the survival of heliconia's during our cold winter spell when temperature drops to almost zero, i was told by a nursery owner that they can be planted in the ground and should be covered with cow manure up to 6 inches from the top when the cold spell sets in. As an experiment i am going to try this.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

A much clearer picture compared to previous photos.
Attachments
Heliconia
Heliconia
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

mikhurram wrote:A much clearer picture compared to previous photos.
Thanks, we will create an entry for your plant soon because heliconia do very well in our gardens. If you have other exotic (ideally not imported) plants to share, please share good quality photos for the database.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Karachi would be more ideal for them. Lahore and Upper regions like Islamabad are not much ideal for them as they need to be protected from the cold during the winter months. I lost one plant 2 years back due to the cold and learning a lesson i had to protect my newer plant in a greenhouse in December/January. I have been informed by a nursery owner that they can be grown outside and a 6 inch layer of cow manure should be applied around the base to keep them warm during the winter when the cold spell sets in. I intend to try it out.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Did it survived?
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Izhar this particular variety didn't survive but yellow variety is able to withstand the winters here in Lahore and blooms on a consistent basis. So much this yellow variety is thriving. I guess the hardiness differs from variety to variety with yellow being more hardier as compared to the one shown above. Karachi ought to be ideal for varieties of Heliconia owning to relatively warmer winters.

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”