Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Re: Pyracantha (Firethorn)

Post by Syed Adnan »

Good .

Reminds me when I first saw them in PC Bhurbun. They were kept as bushes there.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

They make a fantastic impenetrable hedge and can handle being clipped and shaped well.

I have both the red and yellow varieties in fruit now in the UK. The red ones are always eaten first by the birds over the winter. however the clipping has to be planned as the plant flowers on last years growth and fruits are set high on current season flowers
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Ifzal Sahib your observation is spot on. The hidden thorns inside the leaves makes it impossible for any intruder to jump over it. So much even a cat cannot jump over it. Thus simply hedges of Pyracantha around the boundary area make an impenetrable barriers. Bees love its flowers and bird relish eating the berries. It's a very useful plant to encourage wildlife.
newton

Post by newton »

Its bad points are that discarded rubbish is difficult to remove, gloves need to worn during clipping/clearing up and small animals like vermin can take up residence in the undergrowth. In addition to hedging I have some that im training to grow up a wall. I will post up some pics later.
newton

Post by newton »

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Gorgeous border
newton

Post by newton »

Thanks.

Around twice a year I just get the petrol powered hedge trimmers onto it so that it is only around six inches away from the wall, while encouraging its growth up and across. if im too late in trimming I can lose the display of berries for the autumn season, however hard I trim it though it always regenerates well.
As contrast I put the red leaf Berberis next to it, this also has thorns and bright yellow flower bunches that stand out against the red foliage in spring, around the same time as the yellow daylily. That way this section of the border has interest for most of the year.

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”