Oxalis

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Oxalis

Post by mikhurram »

Some think of Oxalis as a weed due to its invasive nature. Common colours of Oxalis found here in Pakistan are yellow and white though they are found various shapes and colours abroad and prefer crowding out in a pot to bloom more like Habranthus.

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Oxalis

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

15 years ago they were in fashion, I used to grow them in flat containers, but then I also grew Ixias, Sparaxis , Ornithogalum and Freesias. I am thinking of starting Freesias again if I find bulbs of single white and Yellow.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Sir i also prefer single Freesia but now they are more difficult to find as most of the seed shops tend to import the double Freesia's. Single Freesia's used to be available easily till 6-7 years ago. I used to plant Freesia in the ground and used to let them remain in the ground thinking that they would naturalize and emerge the following season but observed that only 60% of the Freesia's tended to sprout again.

Over the years i have now learnt that like Lilliums, Freesia's after flowering should be lifted from the ground or pot in first week of May and should be stored in a Chiller or a Refrigerator from May till August. This is the best way to save them in my opinion.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Freesia bulbs can be stored at room temperature in net. The seeds sown in Sept.also bloom and produce bulbs.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Sir i now understand the reason for your preference for single Freesia's as they produce seeds and are more fragrant compared to the double Freesia's which are sterile. I have mixed Freesia's in which the single and double varieties are now mixed.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Common yellow Oxalis blooming nonstop since February.

khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

What is required to make them perennial? Shade in summer? Or prevent from monsoon rains?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

The yellow Oxalis is a very hardy plant and thriving in a area which gets summer sunshine for at-least 5-6 hours. I only planted it once in the ground around 3 years back and since then it seems to have adjusted well to this area. The hardiness depends on cultivar to cultivar eg. the pink Oxalis shown at the top is not as hardy compared to the yellow one and can be grown in pots successfully.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Isn't it the wild version,known as 'Katt-mitt' ?
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

I want to remove this non sense from my garden.I have tried so many weed killers.Pata nahi ye bakwas kahan se lawn me gus gai hai. I an fed up of it.Any idea to eliminate it.

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”