Plumeria (Frangipani / Champa / Gul-e-Cheen)

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Plumeria (Frangipani / Champa / Gul-e-Cheen)

Post by mikhurram »

During the last 7-8 years, upscale nurseries started importing Plumeria's or Gul-e-Cheen from Thailand in increasing numbers and previously the selection of Plumeria was limited to the local variety available in 2-3 colours namely White and Red colour. Prices of these imported Plumeria's has increased abnormally in the last 2-3 years. A small Plumeria stick rooted from cutting which used to be available around Rs 500 is now available around Rs 2500 and grafted varieties are now also available are also in excess of Rs 2500.

Rather than pay abnormal rates of Rs 2000-2500 for a Plumeria cutting and fed up from the ever increasing margins of nurseries (in excess of 250%-300%). I opted to grow them from seed and then graft them rather than pay these exorbitant rates and believe we ourselves are to blame and if we stop buying them at these outrageous rates then they might be forced to lower their margins but some people are indifferent to price levels.

Plumeria's can be grown easily from seeds and cuttings and thrive in ordinary soil. I have noticed that some on this forum have attempted to grow them seeds and they normally take 3-4 to flower from seed. However there is another way to achieve flowering earlier via grafting.

A query was raised earlier by Dr Aykhan about grafting and I felt this topic needed to be tackled some of the other members may not be aware of how to graft Plumerias successfully.

Two year old plumeria variety grown from seed can be grafted on the desi plumeria but the trick is identify the right scion and the root stock for grafting.

There are two types of desi Plumerias. One amongst the desi Plumeria is a deciduous variety and the other variety is evergreen. The evergreen variety has round leaves and the deciduous variety has long pointed leaves. It is important to ensure if the scion is of a deciduous variety (having long pointed leaves) then the rootstock preferably should also be of deciduous type (long pointed leaves) . Likewise if the scion is of an evergreen variety (round leaves) then the rootstock should also be of evergreen variety (round leaves).

Regarding thickness of the scion to be used, if the thickness is same then greater the chances that the sap from rootstock stem may burst. The important consideration is that the diameter of the scion should be at-least 1/2 inches thick.

Timing of grafting is also important. It should be undertaken from 15th September onwards till 15th October and can also be done from middle of February till end of April. The reason grafting is suggested from September 15th is to avoid rot which may occur owning to heavy moisture in the monsoon season. Overall it is better to do grafting from middle of February onwards till end of April.

The first picture is of a plumeria bought for Rs 500. The subsequent pictures are of Plumeria grown from seed (5 months old and 1 & 1/2 year olds).

This is a decidous variety having long leaves fortunately available for Rs 500.

5 month old Plumeria from seed.

1 & 1/2 year old Plumeria grown from seed.

1 & 1/2 year odl Plumeria grown from seed.
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Re: Plumeria (Frangipani / Champa / Gul-e-Cheen)

Post by KBW »

Great effort Khurram sahib and thanks for sharing the knowledge / practical experience with us. How are the grafted plants growing? Did any of them flowered during last summer?
Regards
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Sir, thank you for the kind words. Actually I haven't grafted my plumeria yet as the ideal time for grafting them would be from middle of February onwards in 2014 and hopefully by that time the thickness of the stem would have increased further.

Plumeria which have been raised from seed were too small (around 1 year old) to be grafted in Spring this year.
Last edited by mikhurram on October 27th, 2013, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Great Work.:)
KBW
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Roses, Plants in natural habitat, native plants, landscaping

Post by KBW »

mikhurram wrote: Actually I haven't grafted my plumeria yet as the ideal time for grafting them would be from middle of February onwards in 2014 and hopefully by that time the thickness of the stem would have increased further.

Plumeria which have been raised from seed were too small (around 1 year old) to be grafted in Spring this year.
Great. I am a little surprised at the grafting time, ie, mid Feb onwards. It would still be quite cold during those days and Plumeria do not love cold times. Have you tried it earlier or have seen other people doing in your area?
regards
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

The weather starts warming up from February onwards. I have seen people doing grafting with other items such as Adeniums and Plumerias. There is the flexibility of having till the end of April to proceed ahead with grafting. Weather patterns are becoming irregular day by day especially with timings of Monsoon shower. Here in Lahore, two or three years back February was unusually warmer but in 2013 was slightly colder compared to 2012.

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”