Dutch Iris

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Re: Dutch Iris

Post by mikhurram »

Sir,
the best course of action would be cut the flowering stalk when the blooms come to an end and then these iris bulbs should be placed in a well drained ground site having dappled shade. Care should be taken that the leaves should not be cut as they provide nourishment to the bulb. With the passage of time the leaves will turn yellow and disappear as the bulb enter the dormancy phase which lasts for approximately 6 months and finally new growth causes foliage to emerge in December.
regards,
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

If I was to plant them in ground and forget, will they reward me with blooms year after year.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:If I was to plant them in ground and forget, will they reward me with blooms year after year.
This is what I also wish to do. Hope the same applies to Lilium,Amaryllis & Day Lilies also?
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by Muhammad Arif Khan » March 20th, 2014, 7:16 pm

If I was to plant them in ground and forget, will they reward me with blooms year after year.
Sir rest assured indeed they will reward you with consistent blooms annually.
I only planted mine once in 2007 barring an additional variety in 2010 and they have been blooming since then on a consistent basis annually and have multiplied with the passage of time. This is a fuss free bulb and one merely has to take out the weeds after 2 or 3 months taking care the it is done lightly without damaging the bulbs. I even do not resort to the usage of fertlizers. The foliage turns yellow as the bulb undergoes dormancy and starts emerging after a hiatus of 6 months. After 3-4 years they can be dug out for dividing purposes and replanted.
by Munir » March 20th, 2014, 7:29 pm
This is what I also wish to do. Hope the same applies to Lilium,Amaryllis & Day Lilies also?
Sir, Amaryllis and Day lilies (particularly the evergreen variety) are fuss free plants but lillium is slightly fussy requiring chilling from May till September.

regards,
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

mikhurram wrote: Amaryllis and Day lilies (particularly the evergreen variety) are fuss free plants but lillium is slightly fussy requiring chilling from May till September.
. That is encouraging.I shall go for all four next season. Hope they are all planted together in Sep-Oct?
. What if Lillium is left in the ground,like others? Will it rot or not bloom (without chilling)?
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

This honey color is uncommon in Dutch.It may be cross breed result in your garden.I don,t think its available in the garden centres.Its very unique.
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

This certainly was a surprise and oddly this colour never bloomed before. I haven't bought Dutch Irises for the past couple of years. All of my Dutch Irises have been blooming consistently for the past seven years. What makes it strange is that even if variety mistakenly came into my collection then why didn't it bloom before? Perhaps it's due to cross breeding and bears resemblance to "Bronze Beauty or Bronze Queen" variety in Dutch Iris.
rafique
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

What a unique color this Iris have with all Beauty. Very charming.
Rafique
Asim_Nawaz
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Unique color of Dutch Iris
Asim

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”