Trees in my garden

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Trees in my garden

Post by M Farooq »

Magnolias trees are so beautiful! No wonder why it is a grandiflora. The fragrance is pretty mild though.

Khurram sb, would you like to add more detail to the database entry for Magnolia http://www.gardeningpakistan.com/viewto ... ora#p21171
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Any idea where a larger tree will be available and about how much to expect to pay for it. Anyone know if this will flower in a very large pot (like one of those cement kangi palm pots?
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Khan sb, Magnolia grandiflora is a huge monstrous tree and I don't think that young Magnolias like to produce flowers like your Michelias. It will eventually reach the size of peepal tree but only grandchildren can see that! I will try to post a picture tomorrow of a lovely but old Magnolia, perhaps 60-70 years old.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Farooq sahib. True. But a flowering size tree will hopefully not be too large or too old.

Imran do you recall after how many years your grandiflora sapling started to bloom?
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by M Farooq » June 1st, 2014, 7:47 pm
Magnolia grandiflora is a huge monstrous tree and I don't think that young Magnolias like to produce flowers like your Michelias. It will eventually reach the size of peepal tree but only grandchildren can see that! I will try to post a picture tomorrow of a lovely but old Magnolia, perhaps 60-70 years old.
Dr Sahib,
I have seen young samplings around 2 foot long having flower buds in a 14 inch pot. This is an evergreen tree but the database profile is showing it to be a deciduous tree and the profile also mentions that flowers are not fragrant whereas they are fragrant having sweet citrus like fragrance. Also they are prone to attacks by Mealy Bugs at time of bud formation.

A 24 year old Magnolia Grandiflora

The other 24 year old Magnolia Grandiflora. Height is smaller than the 1st tree as the main trunk got damaged by storm around 12 years ago.
by aykhan » June 1st, 2014, 7:22 pm

Any idea where a larger tree will be available and about how much to expect to pay for it. Anyone know if this will flower in a very large pot (like one of those cement kangi palm pots?
2 year old samplings (2-3 foot) in 14 inch pot can be purchased in nurseries around Rs 700-Rs 800 and i have seen them bearing flowers.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Dombeya Wallichii currently in bloom. Noticeable trait of this variety is that flowers are upside down.

Dombeya Seminole. Flowers of this cultivar are always upright and tend to flower around December.

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”