Ferns

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Ferns

Post by mikhurram »

Ferns have always fascinated me. Tolerant of all types of soils provided they are well drained not soggy they can be used in hanging baskets, rockeries and dramatically transform a shaded nook or dappled shade portion of the house with their lush foliage which mostly stays evergreen throughout the year. The size, shape and colour of their foliage is diverse. They reproduce through spores found in back of the leaves & from division of offshoots.

Our northern region is home to various indigenous varieties of ferns like Adiantum Venusta (Himalayan Maidenhair Fern).

Dicksonia Antartica an Australian tree fern can reach a height more than 20 feet but requires protection from cold winds during our winters. The photo of Tree Fern most likely to be the Dicksonia Antartica variety shown below was taken at Kew Gardens. Tree Ferns are sensitive to frost and fungus which i have learnt after attempting to grow them thrice. Other ferns varieties are more cold hardy.

Tree Ferns in front photographed at Kew Garden's Temperature House.

The varieties of ferns commonly available are Fishbone Fern and Boston Fern around Rs 25 each. Tiger Fern ( a mutation of Boston Fern) is available around Rs 100-150 and Maidenhair Fern / Bird Nest Fern around Rs 500.

Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium Nidus) grows up to 5 feet tall.

Nephrolepsis exaltata 'Tiger Fern' a natural mutation of the Boston fern (N. exaltata ‘Bostoniensis’). Variation in leaves resembles stripes of a tiger.

Boston Fern commonly available.

Fishbone Fern commonly available.

Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Re: Ferns

Post by Kaleem »

I love ferns and every garden is incomplete with out ferns. You have a good collection. I have a few and here are photos
Attachments
P1070002.JPG
Tiger Fern
Tiger Fern
Stag-horn Fern
Stag-horn Fern
Kaleem
Kaleem
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annual, Tropical and Bulbous plants

Post by Kaleem »

One of my favorite
Attachments
Tree Fern
Tree Fern
P8080018.JPG
Tree Fern
Tree Fern
Kaleem
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Japanese Holly Fern (Cyrtomium falcatum)

Post by mikhurram »

Japanese Holly Fern (Cyrtomium falcatum). Leaves of this variety bears resemblance to a Cycad cultivar (Zamia vazquezii)
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Thanks for the great info. But this thread awaits more ferns on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
saadiah tariq
City: karachi
Gardening Interests: By registering to a forum i wish to enhance my gardening abilities.

Post by saadiah tariq »

fern lovers,once again i am trying my luck at ferns, kindly suggest their fertilizers and care.their names also.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”