Sweet Violet (Viola Odorata)

A Bulb Lover

Moderator: Izhar

mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Sweet Violet (Viola Odorata)

Post by mikhurram »

This elusive perennial is not known to many people and makes an ideal groundcover for shaded areas bearing vibrant green, heart shaped leaves and tiny dainty purple flowers. Whenever we hear of violet, our mind registers the image of spring annual pansies widely grown in our gardens. Adaptable to our climate Viola Odorata grows in the wild in mostly in our northern areas, Kashmir and is also native to Europe as well. It prefers a shaded environment or an area having very little sunshine (morning preferably), good drainage & moisture especially during our hot summers. Violas thrive in a rich soil having leaf mould. I was able to dig some further information from an article by Zahrah Nasir.

“Let’s start with the smallest first, that beautiful little wild flower that grows on mountains and in forests throughout the scenic north of the country, the violet or banafsha as it is known here. There are actually two main varieties of this pretty plant, viola odorata and viola canina.
Viola odorata, with its wonderful fragrance, has been grown commercially since 400 BC both for use in the pharmaceutical and the perfumery industries. All parts of the plant are used in herbal remedies. A herbal preparation is used internally for bronchitis, catarrh, asthma, and cancers of the breast, stomach, lungs or that of the digestive tract. Externally an extraction is used for mouth and throat infections and also in aromatherapy for bronchial complaints and exhaustion.
And, as if this isn’t enough, the plant has its uses in the kitchen, too. Flowers and young leaves can be added to salads or made into a soothing tea
Flowers can also be candied and eaten as sweets or used as cake decorations, however, this method of preserving I do not recommend as it uses too much sugar and is very heavy on gas or electricity due to the lengthy oven time required and is definitely not cost effective at all. “
Excepted from: http://pakenvironmentandhealth.org/cont ... le-pansies

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Re: Sweet Violet (Viola Odorata)

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

very beautiful flower and foliage.it is a worth keeping plant.from where we can get this plant...any source?
Mustansir Billah
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

The flower is very similar to Orchid flower.
mikhurram
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »
very beautiful flower and foliage.it is a worth keeping plant.from where we can get this plant...any source?
Hammad i doubt whether this perennial will be available in nurseries as most of the nurseries are not aware of it. However you can have one from me when i end up dividing it around end of March and will inform you.
by Mustansir Billah »
The flower is very similar to Orchid flower.
Yes Mustansir the shape of the flower does bear some resemblance to Orchid flowers. The size of the flower is very small approximately 1/4 the size of a pansy flower.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

what a coincidence. Today when i woke up i had 5 of these plants(bare roots) lying in my garden and i was wondering what species of viola it is and who placed it and here we have Khurram Sb with the ID. Yet to find out the stranger who placed them there :P
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:what a coincidence. Today when i woke up i had 5 of these plants(bare roots) lying in my garden and i was wondering what species of viola it is and who placed it and here we have Khurram Sb with the ID. Yet to find out the stranger who placed them there :P
Then you will be quite happy with the stranger. ;)
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

most probably some friendly mali...:-)
mikhurram

Post by mikhurram »

Good for you Farhan.
What were the chances of these five bare roots getting thrown away if the ID had not been posted?

Hammad i believe i also have some in the ground as well but will lift them from the ground when the weather gets warmer and would inform you.
S.Ahmed
Gardening Interests: Amateur gardener,Fragrant plants,Flowering Plants,Vegetables,Coconuts

Post by S.Ahmed »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:most probably some friendly mali...:-)

Prays that everyone get a friendly mali like that in their neighbourhood :D , some silent neighbourhood admirer of your garden must have gifted them from his own garden. Does your neighbours also have nice well planned gardens comparable to yours?
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Neighbors......No :P

Return to “Mi Khurram's Garden”