Raat Ki Raani

Moderator: Izhar

farah fayyaz
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Raat Ki Raani

Post by farah fayyaz »

Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Raat Ki Raani

Post by Munir »

Ma'am,how much fragrance is it giving? I ask this because my plant as big as yours is giving none-since planting.It may therefore,require a replacement.
farah fayyaz
Gardening Interests: Annuals, bulbs and kitchen gardening.

Post by farah fayyaz »

munir wrote:Ma'am,how much fragrance is it giving? I ask this because my plant as big as yours is giving none-since planting.It may therefore,require a replacement.
Don't ask about the fragrance :D . You can't imagine how sweet its smell is.In fact it is the queen of my home. Every guest visiting us stay here to "mahzooz" from its smell. when i wake up for sehri , each and every corner of my home is blessed with its fragrance.You are right, there are some types those do not give fragrance because my maali was asking the same question from me.
But there is a bad news.Nowadays it has been attacked by amar bail.And I could not defeat it.Now it is mostly destroyed.I m planning to plant a new one but first I will check its fragrance , then I will chop this one.Last year, i tried to use its cutting but failed.Mostly my guest demand for it, therefore I tried to save its cuttings .
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.

Post by Munir »

Then I am going to axe my plant & look for a fragrant one.
May you stay blessed with the Fragrance & good luck.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

munir wrote:Then I am going to axe my plant & look for a fragrant one.
Munir, I am curious as to why your raat ki rani is not fragrant at all? Is it due to climatic conditions rather? Could you describe more because this is the first time I am hearing that certain raat ki rani (varieties) are not fragrant?
Munir
Donor
Donor

Post by Munir »

M Farooq wrote:
munir wrote:Then I am going to axe my plant & look for a fragrant one.
Munir, I am curious as to why your raat ki rani is not fragrant at all? Is it due to climatic conditions rather? Could you describe more because this is the first time I am hearing that certain raat ki rani (varieties) are not fragrant?
It is a 4 years old plant which has not given fragrance ever, but I kept giving it 'another' chance every year.There was another one also,which too went blank & I cut it off 2 years back.Yet, Din ka Raja planted at the same time also, is without fragrance. All of these did bear flowers, however.The foliage growth is normal. I had a plan to replace them this season.I would like to know the best varieties for new planting.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

i tried to use its cutting but failed.Mostly my guest demand for it, therefore I tried to save its cuttings .
Ms. Farah, Raat ki rani is from solanaceae family (Tomato family) and they can be easily propagated by cuttings.

The season for their propagation is just around the corner, you can take 6-10 inch (semi-hardwood: the type of stems which when scratched with finger nails easily get bruised and bark comes off revealing green or yellowish green inner part ) cuttings and place them in a glass or any pitcher of water placed in a humid area preferably kitchen or a bathroom.

You will notice roots coming out in about a week, change the water daily to avoid rot. when you see tiny roots keep them in the water glass further 3-5 days so the roots get strong and long.

Now pot these cuttings carefully in small containers with good drainage and water them deeply and daily until fresh growth starts.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

munir wrote: It is a 4 years old plant which has not given fragrance ever, but I kept giving it 'another' chance every year.There was another one also,which too went blank & I cut it off 2 years back.Yet, Din ka Raja planted at the same time also, is without fragrance. All of these did bear flowers, however.The foliage growth is normal. I had a plan to replace them this season.I would like to know the best varieties for new planting.
Munir sahab, I agree that the so-called Din ka raja (Cestrum diurnum) we had in our old house was without fragrance too. Yet the internet (and our database entry on it) mentions that it is indeed fragrant! Since both of your plants not fragrant, that makes me wonder is it just bad luck or there are environmental reasons behind it. It is known though at lower temperature the odour cycle in raat ki raani is disturbed.

Regards.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Farooq sb, you are right Din ka raja is fragrant but a very mild scent you have to get close to the plant to feel it and yes temperature also determines the intensity of fragrance, for example Nicotiana, Night phlox and Stocks emit more fragrance in warmer days and nights... same is with cestrum.
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

i am agree with you mr tahir that din ka raja is mildly fragrant.problem with these plants is that they depend on weather condition and sunlight.there was a big plant of raat ke rani in my garden with morning sun only it was a full fragrant plant but it died.now i have another plant in full shade grown from cuttings of that same plant.although it flowers but its smell is very mild.so i think weather condition and sunlight effects these plants very much.

Return to “Farah's Garden”