Step by Step Summer 2014 Seed Germination Process

Flower & Veggies In Container

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Step by Step Summer 2014 Seed Germination Process

Post by Munir »

Asim_Nawaz wrote:Dear Munir Sb
Asim, why have you grown Sweet Sultan these days;when do you expect its flowers? In Pakistan, it is generally grown as a Spring Annual.

. Also, haven't you sown cucumber & okra rather late or is it the second sowing/crop? The sowing season for summer veggies in Lahore starts around 15 Feb. Here, I sowed these in mid/late Mar & both are in the fruiting stage
As far as Sweet Sultan grown, you are saying right, it is Spring Annual. As far you second suggestion again saying right vegetables and flowering plant seeds germination period will be Feb to March. I will grow flowering and vegetables seeds in the month of Feb and March but to due to unexpected weather condition, cannot properly germination and growth. Now-a-days at my home some Winter plants still blooming due to unexpected weather condition. So far as vegetables Okra, Bitter Gourd and Cucumber as Second Sowing Crop because last year I will grow Okra on 15th March 2013 and last harvest on 29th July 2013. See image of my Okra vegetable on my last topic "Step by Step Summer 2013 Seed Germination" process. So, I will grow Okra in May and harvest at the end of June.
. Mostly, I agree with you & Farah.However,I'll like to add some points.
. Generally,the growing season for Summer Veggies in normal weather conditions in upper Punjab/KPK is Feb-Mar in most cases,but some veggies like Cucumber,Bitter Gourd & Okra can be sown in Apr also.
. The season starts in Feb but intially the germination of veggie seeds is low due to relatively lower temperature unless certain special measures are taken,therefore,it is better to wait till early Mar to get better germination rate. Though the season extends till Apr,but earl
ier the better as it would give harvest for a longer/full period.If it is delayed further,then again the germination is reduced & also a lot of harvest period would be lost.It must have been also noticed that the the quality & yield is adversly affected in Monsoon & later.
. This year the temperatures remained low & there have been unusually frequent rain till even mid/late Apr, therefore, germination has not been good. Yet,I know people in Lahore,who are already harvesting all veggies since early May.Even here in Islamabad the harvesting is already on. A sample from yesterday’s harvest from my little kitchen garden is posted here for interest:
20140528_212812.jpg
20140528_212812.jpg (105.89 KiB) Viewed 3901 times
Asim_Nawaz
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Dear Munir Sb
If it is delayed further,then again the germination is reduced & also a lot of harvest period would be lost
It will totally agree your point. Late germination will reduce harvesting. But my point is that if you have vegetables and flowering seeds, due to some sort of reason you can grow at proper month, you can never discard seeds. Try to germinate seeds and finally wait and gets the proper result.
One again appreciate your healthy and fresh harvest of Kitchen Garden veggies.
It's Tomato idli. Kindly save seeds of Tomato idli.
Asim_Nawaz
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Munir sb. Last year i grew okra and by the time it was in fruiting stage, my neighbours sowed the seeds. And beyond my expectation their plants started fruiting so quickly as compared to my plants. I read in agriculture book that it's sowing period is from march to july.
Dear Farah next time you will not check your neighbors, only l check and give you suggestion in Gardening Pakistan forum. :)
Thanks for Farah Fayyaz
Asim_Nawaz

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Here fresh images of Okra (Late Season) after one month hot and humid weather.
Attachments
Okra-3.jpg
Okra-5.jpg
Okra-4.jpg
Asim_Nawaz

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

@ Continue...
Attachments
Okra-1.jpg
Okra-2.jpg
Asim_Nawaz

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Here fresh images of "Bitter Gourd".
Attachments
Bittergourd-2.jpg
Bittergourd-1.jpg
Asim_Nawaz

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Fresh flowers of Bitter Gourd
Attachments
Bitter Gourd Flower-2.jpg
Bitter Gourd Fower-1.jpg

Return to “Asim's Container RoofTop Garden”