Discussions on Ornamental & Fruit Trees/Shrubs

Moderator: Izhar

Janjua
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit trees, vegetables

Fuit trees in Islamabad

Post by Janjua »

AOA,

1) I am new to this forum and needed some advice about the types of fruit trees that would do well in the climate of Islamabad.
I would probably have enough space for about 40 to 60 fruit trees. I would prefer to have as many different kinds of fuit trees as possible, as i am planning to have at the most 2 to 3 trees of the same type . I have these fruit trees in mind please let me know if i am wasting my time on any of these trees.
Apples, Apricots, Fig, Iitchie, Lemon, Orange, Kinoo, Avacado, Olive, Louqat, Pomegranate, Mulberry, Pear, Mango (sensation?), Guava, Chiko, Papaya, Amlok
plus grapes
2) What should be the optimum distance between each tree 10 to 15 feet ?
3) Is the fall the best weather to start planting.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Re: Fuit trees in Islamabad

Post by Munir »

WAA!
Welcome to the Forum. It is nice to have somebody interested in fruit trees. My views on points raised by you are:
.. I think practically every fruit tree grown in Pakistan can be grown in Islamabad except those suitable for only coastal/tropical zones e.g. Pineapple, Kiwi fruit, Coconut.
.. Some of the fruits like Mango do grow alright but may not give the ideal result i.e. in taste/flavor, quantity etc. as in South Punjab/Sindh.
.. Then, some will require greater care here than in their main growing areas against weather conditions i.e. frost, low/high temp e.g. Mango, Lychee ,Papaya, Banana etc.
.. Gaps. Ideal gaps are 20’, even more in bigger size trees, both between trees & rows, but they can be reduced depending on the type /size of a mature tree. There are other concepts also abroad about gaps, which can be easily read on internet; e.g. planting dwarf/ semi dwarf varieties in containers or much closer together i.e. 3’-7’ in backyard gardens, even 2-3 different types in the same pit - these cultivars are yet not available in Pakistan. I personally feel an average gap of 15’ is good enough for most trees. I have planted all about 60 odd fruit trees/vines with 10’-15’gap, but will have to keep them controlled through pruning/training etc.
.. I think fruit trees, which are available in pots can be planted even now, but ASP. However, a greater care will have to be taken to protect them in winter. If you miss it now, then the ideal time is Jan, when all saplings will be available. But whenever, go for it after proper planning/preparation, rather than haphazardly in haste.
.. In addition to your list,all left over Citrus, Plum, Peach/Nectarine, Jaman, Bair, Pecan Nut, Falsa, Banana, Raspberry( not tried by me yet),Back Berry can also be grown. I have almost all types of fruit trees, of ages varying 2-5 years. Those already fruiting include: Citrus—Kino, Fruiter, Grape Fruit, Sangtara,Lemon-Chinese & Eureka;Guava,Pomegranate,Banana( yet to taste),Grapes,Kumqaut & BlackBerry.
.. Most Important Point. Go only for known cultivars/ varieties recommended for Potohar, lest you have to replace them after wasting 4-6 years. The list may be available on NARC, Islamabad website. I may also be able to help, as required.
.. Most welcome to discuss any specific details. I am not an expert, but can find out from more learned/experienced persons.
.. Good luck!
Janjua

Post by Janjua »

Thanks Munir sahib,

I appreciate your prompt reply. I will definetely take into account your thoughts about the fruit trees that i missed. I am looking for ward to picking your brain about fruit tree planting in the potohar area. Do you any suggestions of nurseries for fruit trees or can i get them from NARC directly ?
yawer
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

I also need to plant about 150 fruit trees near Chakri. From where should I get the best kind of varities which are well suited for Potohar ? I was planning to visit H sector nurseries in Islamabad, are they okay ?
yawer

Post by yawer »

In addition kindly share any If you have found any good and authentic guy to who such planting of fruit trees can be outsourced. Thanks and regards.
yawer
yawer

Post by yawer »

Dear Munir sb.,
I once asked NARC, they have a shop outside called PATCO which is kind of private outsourced shop where you an buy products of NARC.

regards

yawer
Janjua

Post by Janjua »

Yawer which types of trees are you planning to plant. Also please let me know if you find any good nurseries that you end up getting the trees from and if you find any guy that i can outsource planting too.
I am planning to start planting in february and was planning to get the trees through NARC
yawer

Post by yawer »

Munir sb, I plan to plant Citrus by end of January or February perhaps. Those would be oranges, grape fruits and Kinos, around 100 in total. Then there are others too like loquat, Guava etc which perhaps in March I assume. (would take advice).
I have visited NARC in detail and they usually sell through their PATCO shop. However, you have to order well in time there. I contacted H sector nurseries and liked one of Al-Madina (not Madina) nursery owned by Nawar Khan. He seemed fine to me and is ready for outsourcing although it is an individual assessment to feel comfortable, you can surely have a talk with him. Several have suggested for Fatehpur Nursery which I plan to visit this weekend. I am also in contact with others whoever gives a good deal along with good varieties.
If I can't get outsourcing, then would utilize labours for pits, and then find a gardener to plant trees after I buy a lot from the nursery. I am also planning a drip system to save energy, water and efforts.
Janjua

Post by Janjua »

Yawer,

Thanks for the Info. I plan to plant about 60 trees which will be a mixture of citrus and non citrus trees and will likely plant in feb/march, I am planning to hire some laborers for the digging bit and then have our Mali do all the aftercare. . Please find out if any of the nurseries you visit sell Olives and Figs. Also if you could tell me the address/phone # of the Patco shop that would be great.
Thanks and wish you happy planting
Janjua
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

> Sorry,I have been mostly away from the net these days, therefore,this belated response to your posts.My views on various points raised are as under:
. Nurseries all over sell fruit trees supplied mainly by the sources in Pattoki,Haripur or Tarnab. The nurseries in Islamabad,both at Peshawar Mor & Park Road,Chak Shehzad also have the same sources, but offer full range & more variety,therefore,must be preferred.Olive & Fig trees asked about, would also be available,easily.
. NARC, though have determined the fruit trees varieties suitable for Potohar Region & have listed them in their Website, but unfortunately offer just a few(1-3) types at their research site & sell limited varieties even at their outlet PATCO(Tel: 051-8443381&3)near the main gate,for which they have outsourced production.
. Best time to plant all the fruit trees is Jan-mid Feb; that is when they become available in bulk at the nurseries.Pits should however,be dug beforehand ie. in Dec, left open for some days before filling back with 1 part Bhal,1 part well rotted manure & 1part top soil ,then well watered & left in this state. Water again after planting the sapling,whenever during the season.
. Go for varieties recommended by NARC in their Website, as far as possible.After you have decided the types of trees,I can also share my opinion on the varieties.
. Oursourcing of planting project may obviously be a bit expensive,though a little convenient. Nawar is a reasonable person,but do check up with some more to get an idea of the bill. Ever-Green Nursery (Owners Riaz or Fayyaz), close to Nawar's Nursery could also be consulted, if required.However,hiring own labour, as being thought by Yawer would definitely be more economical.
> If I have missed any point or there are more queries,please feel free to ask.

Return to “Trees & Shrubs”