proper method of using different fertilizers

Discussions on fertilizers, Plant Food and Composts Etc

Moderator: Izhar

Dr.wasif
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Palm trees

proper method of using different fertilizers

Post by Dr.wasif »

different fertilizlers such as urea DAP NPK are available in market what is the proper method to get maximum benefit from these fertilizers...i mean urea should not be idealy used for plants/palm trees...generally people put fertlizer and water heavily...what is the proper method for using these different fertilizers (urea DAP NPK) on plants/palm trees...guy at nursery told me to apply DAP AND UREA and then mix the soil well and leave it for 3 days and water on the 4th day...i want expert opinion regarding this, the proper method for using all 3 fertilzers and also comment upon what quantity to use for plant, which offcourse depends upon the plant size...any such formula etc thankx in advance
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: proper method of using different fertilizers

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

The subject has been thoroughly discussed in the forum, SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND IT.
Arif
Dr.wasif

Post by Dr.wasif »

ok but my question was this:
guy at nursery told me to apply DAP AND UREA and then mix the soil well and leave it for 3 days and water on the 4th day...i want expert opinion regarding this????
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I dont know the science behind this but keep it simple and for your convenience please apply these fertilizers such that there are not more than 12 granules per square foot and away from plant stem...
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

Dr.wasif wrote:ok but my question was this:
guy at nursery told me to apply DAP AND UREA and then mix the soil well and leave it for 3 days and water on the 4th day...i want expert opinion regarding this????
its a great way to sell lots of fertiliser to the public, especially when they don't really need it LOL

Five factors are key to successful fertiliser choice and application. These are:

1. Know your soil, what is it deficient in if anything, you can get a soil sample tested (expensive) or look at the types of weeds growing to establish if it needs anything at all. What has gown on it before and how did that perform.

2. Know the soil pH – soil acidity or alkalinity is fundamental to many plants establishment, if this is outside the desired levels then corrective action should be taken as all other inputs will be of little use.

3. Have a basic knowledge of what plants your growing and their requirements in terms of nutrients and ph and what results are possible or likely

4. Understand the soil type. ie is it sandy, bal, clay, loam, riverine, waterlogged, free draining etc

5. Have you applied organic manures to facilitate the uptake trace minerals and nutrients for the plants. Often this is far far more important than the application of chemical fertilisers.
Dr.wasif

Post by Dr.wasif »

thnkx a lot
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Dr.wasif wrote:ok but my question was this:
Avoid his advice in future.
Dr.wasif

Post by Dr.wasif »

ok arif sb and thnkx
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Dr. Sahab,

Organic fertilizers are the best. Use Bhal, Manure, compost. I have been using DAP/UREA once for containers it is sometimes too harsh for them but for grass in the lawn it is OK.

Good Luck,
Dr.wasif

Post by Dr.wasif »

syed adnan sahab i use urea/dap/npk for palm trees like bismarckia nobilis, queen palms, foxtail palm, phoenix robellini, phoenix canaresis, revenia palms, washintonia, italian palms and cycas revoluta and all these plants are planted in ground...i also use manure and compost once in a year..yess you are right organic fertilizers are the best

Return to “Fertilizers”