Anybody got Jacaranda seeds?

Acquire Free Seeds or Donate Seeds to the Bank

Moderator: Izhar

ramizq1
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Kitchen Gardening, Annuals, Native tree plantation.

Anybody got Jacaranda seeds?

Post by ramizq1 »

Need them in Karachi. Anyone?
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Anybody got Jacaranda seeds?

Post by Izhar »

You may have to buy a plant from Punjab... havent seen it here...
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Shalimar nursery used to have them. In my last visit, I was disappointed to see the state of that beloved nursery (they don't have anything now). I had purchased Jacaranda several years ago from Shalima. It it grew very tall (~ 10 ft) in my home and then died suddenly...in my memory. I think Jacaranda may not thrive in Karachi...but it is one of the most beautiful trees of the world.

Any reason Izhar, as what happened to that nursery?
ramizq1

Post by ramizq1 »

Thanks guys for your responses.
Yes Jacaranda is not made to thrive in Karachi's climate. But it can survive / live a long life. It requires some cooling periods, and hates coastal winds. to be fully blooming these 2 requirements should be there.

@Farooq sb: I was reading that a fungus is rotting away alot of Jacs. Check this. Might be the reason. In case true, this is very sad :(
http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science/en ... as-1598528

Perhaps anyone from Lahore or Islamabad who can mail some Jac seeds to me?
Basically I am trying to experiment growing some plants which are not suited for the climate (people do this all the time don't they)... I also am looking for any Kachnar plants in Karachi but havent been able to find any. I find they grow superbly in Oman and UAE so they can easily grow in Khi weather as well.
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

M Farooq wrote:Shalimar nursery used to have them. In my last visit, I was disappointed to see the state of that beloved nursery (they don't have anything now). I had purchased Jacaranda several years ago from Shalima. It it grew very tall (~ 10 ft) in my home and then died suddenly...in my memory. I think Jacaranda may not thrive in Karachi...but it is one of the most beautiful trees of the world.

Any reason Izhar, as what happened to that nursery?
They are into landscaping now, in Karachi people are not as gardening lovers as compared to Lahore and Islamabad... only DHA and Clifton side residents are more in gardening and their area nurseries have more varieties...
yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

I have kachnar trees at my place as now a days on full bloom, rather we have plucked too for making various dishes as eaten too.
It will produce seeds and if you require can be send but kindly remind me in May/June when seeds are likely to be ready.

I have jacaranda too, 2 colors, but not sure if they would produce flowers this year as planted in February.

Sent from my HUAWEI G610-U20 using Tapatalk
Yawer
ramizq1

Post by ramizq1 »

yawer wrote:I have kachnar trees at my place as now a days on full bloom, rather we have plucked too for making various dishes as eaten too.
It will produce seeds and if you require can be send but kindly remind me in May/June when seeds are likely to be ready.

I have jacaranda too, 2 colors, but not sure if they would produce flowers this year as planted in February.

Sent from my HUAWEI G610-U20 using Tapatalk
Thanks brother for your input :) sounds fabulous. If possible can you post a picture of the Kachnar trees? I will remind you for sure.
yawer
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Fruit Trees

Post by yawer »

I have posted the Kachnar pictures under the forum 'What is blooming in your garden' under the topic 'yawer garden'.

regards
Yawer
ramizq1

Post by ramizq1 »

yawer wrote:I have posted the Kachnar pictures under the forum 'What is blooming in your garden' under the topic 'yawer garden'.

regards
Saw them. M'A quite beautiful. Thanks.

Return to “Seed Bank”