Moderator: Izhar

mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin
City: Karachi

Re: My Shade Plants

Post by mirafzalkhan »

How to Grow Caladiums
Caladium is the most suitable decorative plant for Karachi climate. When the temperatures drop below 12 oC leaves begin to wither and die. In Karachi & similar winter climatic areas this happens for only two months (December & January), in February they shows growth again. Lifting caladium tubers in these area is not recommended since tuber size usually decreases in storing period. Lifting tuber is only recommended for those areas where soil temperatures drop below 10 oC for prolonged periods.
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l621/mirafzalkhan/IMG_7807copy.jpgPlant tubers in individual containers, only use unglazed clay pots because caladium not grow well in glazed or plastic pots. Fill the container with the well-drained potting mix, leaving about 2", place your tuber on top of soil & barely cover. Caladium takes 20-30 days to show their first leaf depending how fresh they are. When tuber shows the leaf buds cover the tuber with more soil. Later you can transplant them into the ground.http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l621/mirafzalkhan/IMG_7808copy.jpg

Caladiums grow best in the partial shade. They will perform reasonably well in full shade, but the color may not be as outstanding. Caladiums needed protection from full sun for best growth and color, but some cultivars tolerate exposure to full sun for a couple of hours daily. Most pink-leaved caladiums develop a scorched appearance when grown in full sun.
Try to keep your soil cool by mulching, soil temperatures over 30 oC can result leaves with more green color and less of the highly valued, vivid colors. High levels of nitrogen fertilization can produce the same effect. Best fertilizers for caladium is low Nitrogen (N), high Phosphorous (P) and Potash (K) in the ratio of 1:2:2 (like 5-10-10)
Newly purchased tubers sowed on 5th of April 2012

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Yes Mir sb you are right.this bulb is suited to Karachi,s climate.in our climate they are big flop.i used to plant them but i realized the fact and now i do not grow this bulb any more.i think there are many more plants to try in our climate.Caladium is gamble in our climate.i have planted all my loved ones.Impatiens,Zinnias,portulacas,cocks combs & coleus.
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Thanks Mir saheb for the very informative post. Very helpful. Let's experience how we in Lahore can keep these bulbs going. I think I'll keep mine dry in the pots when they go dormant in winter.
sara

Post by sara »

thank you for the great post ! now i know what to do with mine !
Sara
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

I have been keeping my Caladiums for 7 years.. they are excellent for Karachi's environment.. nowadays I am growing them in full sun... they are so easy here, you can cut the tuber in 4-6 pieces wit knife and plant them directly, you will have multiple plants which will form their own tubers by the season end i.e. December:

sara

Post by sara »

do they completely shed their leaves in december?
Sara
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

most varieties do this but some dont and continue to grow... you just have to stop watering them till February..
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

This not fair for lahories I am still waiting for mine to sprout caladiums are comparatively difficult to to grow here
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Ahmad sb they are so beautiful but very hard to grow in the central & north regions.they are well suited to Karachi,s climate.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Very beautiful indeed.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com

Return to “Mir Afzal's Shade Garden”