Dahlia Suffering

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Dahlia Suffering

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

My Dahlias are suffering badly......some leaves are curling some are blackening from the edges till the entire leaf stalk blackens.....there is no visible pest. Thinking its fungus i have sprayed Bayer's Alliete but no avail. Please ID diseases/pest and remedial measures

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Dahlia Suffering

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Mites its very common in Dahlia these days.use Bayer,s Oberon.the mites are underneath of the leaves.they are very small creatures so are not easily visible at first glance.if you check carefully you will see them.Mites are very common pest on Mari golds,citrus,Cabbage & Dahlias.your Dahlias are great man.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thanks.....what about blackening of leaves....could it be blight?
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Farhan i can,t see the blacking of foliage but its due to the dropping temps.have you noted the dropping temps for the last four days specially after the rain.if you are expecting frost please cover your Dahlia under plastic sheets in the evening.remove the plastic sheets in the morning daily & then again cover the plants in the evening before the frost.Dahlias are half hardy,so can not tolerate slight frost.Also cover the annual Dahlia under plastic sheets till last week of Jan.remove plastic sheets when all danger of frost is past.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Yes this is mite damage, these pests are so small they cannot be seen by the naked eye, i am referring to the Broad Mites.. the damage looks like a virus attack.. dont worry, regular sprays of pesticide will cure it inshaAllah...

Return to “Pests and Diseases”