Attack by insects on leaves of plants

Moderator: Izhar

jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Attack by insects on leaves of plants

Post by jdashraf »

During the last one month or so my all plants have been attacked by some insects which are eating away leaves of my plants. The insect is of very small size and mostly not visible. Here are some pictures with affected leaves. Please guide me to address the issue. THx.
Attachments
CAM00146.jpg
CAM00681.jpg
CAM00753.jpg
Javed Ashraf.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Attack by insects on leaves of plants

Post by M Farooq »

This could be so many insects and slugs. You have to do some nocturnal hunting and see if you have jaunks (= slugs) or not. It is very easy to catch slugs, just place a cup filled with sugar and baking yeast; use it as a trap in the garden. Slugs love the fermenting alcohol smell and they happily crawl into the sugar filled cup...and drown.

Besides that, there are plenty of insects that create such a chewing design.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/2007 ... ating.html

I am not a fan of pesticides but if this is the last reort, then go for it-a general purpose type pesticide.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Jd Sb, I experienced a much graver pest attack during 3-5 weeks back; leaves of most plants & veggies had turned gauze-like.Though I hate to use a chemical pesticide,yet I had to resort to it. I feel no soft organic treatment is going to work at this stage; therefore, suggest straight away go for spray of a GP Pesticide, while you may carry out the study of the type of the attacker, for the future. Meanwhile,hope the heavy rain may have washed away most of the pest.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Most pest go dormant in hottest month only to re-emerge in monsoon and post monsoon till fall. As per my experience, the coming period till winters is the toughest in this regard. Pests such as nocturnal beetles and moths/butterflies have started to come back to life. The damage above is of nocturnal beetles and eggs laid by various pests. If you look closely you will observe small black egg like stuff on leaves. You can wash it away or use pesticides. Nocturnal beetles are hard to control. Physcial barrier is one measure. Just before sunset thoroughly spray pesticide to reduce damage they do at night.

You May read following.
http://farhansgarden.blog.com/2012/10/2 ... f-insects/

Return to “Pests and Diseases”