Leaf Miner Infestation

Moderator: Izhar

I Khan

Leaf Miner Infestation

Post by I Khan »

AOA Everyone,

I noticed that my tomato & cucumber seedlings have leaf miner and promptly snipped off the leaves (back breaking work) and disposed of them properly. Now I see that the leaf miners are back and not only on tomato and cucumber seedlings but have spread to my peas, petunia seedlings and other plants as well. Tomato and flower seedling are all in pots, the rest in the ground.

Is there anything I can do? Any pesticide (preferably organic, but I'm desperate and will use non organic) I can spray along with cutting off the leaves. I'm quite worried now.

Please HELP.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Leaf Miner Infestation

Post by Izhar »

Dear Ismaa, any general pesticide would do... those which are infested will not return to normal, but regular spray for 3 days, then spray weekly for three weeks would stop further attack of any pest.. and yes you can use organic sprays like garlic spray and neem oil spray, just add few drops of liquid soap in your spray...

a guava plant nearby heavily infested with mealy bugs was cleaned overnight just by spraying with a solution of cloth washing soap
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

You have removed the infested leaves which is generally recommended. Garlic Spray can be prepared by boiling a quarter kilo of Garlic in one litre of water. After several hours when it has cooled down (6-7 hours) stain by using fine muslin cloth. You would need to do it repeatedly as advised by Izhar.
I Khan

Post by I Khan »

Thank you MirkKhurram. I'll try this and hopefully it will work.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

In case the garlic spray proves to be ineffective you may consider grinding 1/2 cup of chopped green chillies in a blender which then should be mixed with 2 cups of water and placed in a sealed container for at least 12 hours. Then it can strained by using a fine muslin cloth to prevent the pulp from clogging the spray bottle. Caution should be taken and it is advisable to wears gloves and glasses when making the mix and at time of spraying.
I Khan

Post by I Khan »

Ah yes the Hell Fire spray :)
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Leaf miners are inside the leaves, traditional recipes won't work. Their damage is cosmetic, plant can not be killed. For larger showy leaves follow the mine, at the end you will find a tiny culprit. Smother with hand or cut the affected leaf.

Return to “Pests and Diseases”