Growing Peppers/Chillies...

Moderator: Izhar

Khalid1
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: All types of peppers and tomatoes and some other vegetables.

Growing Peppers/Chillies...

Post by Khalid1 »

Does anyone know where to buy an electric propagator in karachi?
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: I need an electric propagator

Post by Izhar »

Why do you need it?? Our temperatures are warm enough for using a general plastic propagator for cuttings..
Khalid1
Gardening Interests: All types of peppers and tomatoes and some other vegetables.

Post by Khalid1 »

I need to germinate the seeds indoor.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

You can germinate seeds indoors easily without electric propagator... why you want to sow seeds indoor?? which plant seeds are your sowing??
Khalid1

Post by Khalid1 »

Actually brother i have some international pepper seeds like Naga Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper), Congo SR Gigantic (Rare), Carolina Reaper (Current World Record Holder), Pasilla Bajio Mexican, Mulato Isleno, Cayenne Thick, Bangalore Whippets Tail, Aci Sivri Turkish Pepper and many others.... and i dont want to take any risk for them. If you know the better idea instead of using Paneri or paper towel method for them then please tell me.
Btw I am a container gardener :) and i also dont like to germinate them in LED or saver lights.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

I have grown Naga bhut jolokia and many others... best time to sow them in Karachi was in October.. they dont like our summers at all...

They easily germinate in open air, use net if you want to save them from birds... see my post on seedling potting mix... if your seeds are fresh then you will inshaAllah get 100% germination...
Khalid1

Post by Khalid1 »

Ooh but i thought the best time is in Feb. :/
Are you sure that these seeds will only germinate in October not in Feb?
If possible will you please share me the link, i am totally new in using forum.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Your seeds will germinate and grow but the plants will suffer from heat starting from April... our local varieties are tougher so they could be planted in March too.. I guess you have learned from European and American websites that best time to start peppers is February... Karachi weather is very different..
Khalid1

Post by Khalid1 »

Yes you are absolutely right as i learned from European websites. Is it possible to grow them in shades in heat seasons?
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Yes it is possible and advisable too..

I recommend you a technique which will inshaAllah give you very healthy and vigorous plants..

Buy seedling trays of 1.2 inch holes, sow single seed in each hole using any good compost... when the seedlings have three to four true leaves, transfer them into small 4 inch pots.. grow them in this pot for 6 weeks then transfer them to 9 inch pot.. it will start producing fruits in 9 inch pot but you should remove them in order to make the plant healthy... grow them in 9 inch pot for 2 months then finally transfer them into 12 inch pots.. in this pot your plant will grow around 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide and will give you good quality peppers...

Return to “General Discussion”