Purple Shower & Virginia creeper

Post pictures of your plants/flowers for identification.

Moderator: Izhar

Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Purple Shower & Virginia creeper

Post by Munir »

The closest view I ve is here. Please note, it has grapevine like leaves.
Creeper.jpg
Some views of the Purple Shower r as under. A surprising aspect is that last year it bloomed only once-dont remember the dates,but this year it has put on flowers twice; once in ist week Oct , less profusely , lasted only 5-6 days & appeared only on Northern side; now it is again in bloom more intensely, for longer duration & on Southern side, but hold on - some buds r appearing on Northen side also.Any explanation ; is it usual or otherwise?
5- Purple Shower in Inside Lawn .jpg
IMG00027.jpg
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin
City: Karachi

Re: New Member

Post by mirafzalkhan »

Close Photo means from which we can see shape of leaves or flowers, an idea about purple one may be "Garlic Vine" Cydista aequinoctialis. Compare it with the my garlic vine picture and also an idea about closeup pictures for ID
IMG_9514 copy.jpg
If the leaves or flowers emit garlic smell on crushing than it is must Garlic vine.
Munir
Donor
Donor
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.

Post by Munir »

Mir Sb, I think there is a misunderstanding. Id of Virgina Creeper was in question,not of the Purple Shower. Anyway, it too now needs a little explanation - time no problem. My 'Purple Shower" is the same as ur "Garlic Vine". I bought it as "Blue Shower" or "Lusson Bail" , started calling it "Purple Shower' after following a discussion on it on this Forum & seeing its actual colour. ..... What do u finally say? or 'call it by any name',but still what is most common ?
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mirafzalkhan »

Common names of plants vary area to area, language to language & sometimes two or more than two plants have same common name. In this case, Lusson Bail is the Punjabi version of Garlic vine. No one knew it outside our part of the world. Scientific or Botanical name is same everywhere, Cydista aequinoctialis is the Botanical name of Garlic vine, Cydista is the Genus and aequinoctialis is Specie of plant, while Garlic vine is the most acceptable common name of the plant. If you Google these name you will get lot of information about the plant but Lusson Bail will provide nothing. May be this explanation will clear the confusion. You can check this post also for some advanced info. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=210
Munir
Donor
Donor

Re: Purple Shower & Virginia creeper

Post by Munir »

Obliged .
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

What basic diffrence is there between saritaea magnifica , the glow vine and mansoa , the garlic vine.

They must be two different plants as Top Tropical Plants offers both. The garlic smell is prominent feature of Mansoa While it is not mentioned in Saritea Magnifica. Mine is Mansoa.
by Muhammad Arif Khan
SO WHICH ONE IS YOURS?
Munir
Donor
Donor

Post by Munir »

Mir Sb,looks the above comment /question is directed at u , nor I am in a position to say anything . So please take on.
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:What basic diffrence is there between saritaea magnifica , the glow vine and mansoa , the garlic vine. They must be two different plants as Top Tropical Plants offers both. The garlic smell is prominent feature of Mansoa While it is not mentioned in Saritea Magnifica.
Here is an authentic answer to your query. In short, the difference between Mansoa and Cydista is too subtle for gardeners like us. It is a subtle academic or taxonomic debate. Dave's garden consider both as synonyms.

http://www.plantbook.org/plantdata/bign ... iales.html

Garlic Vine: Cydista aequinoctiales (L.) Miers

Misapplied name: Mansoa alliacea (Lam.) A. H. Gentry

Taxonomic note: The generic name Mansoa has been subject to confusion and varying interpretations. The preeminent late Bignoniaceae taxonomist, the Alwyn Gentry, discussed this in Ann. Missouri Bot. Gard. 66: 779-784. 1979. The name “Mansoa alliacea” is first published in that publication. Confusion concerns the use of Cydista aequinoctiales as opposed to Mansoa alliacea. Perhaps due to a history of misapplication of the name Mansoa alliacea to the garden “Garlic Vine,” there is a tendency in garden writing (not in taxonomic writings) to list the Mansoa name as a synonym of the Cydista name. Although synonymy is often a matter of interpretation by taxonomists Gentry, who was author of the name “Mansoa alliacea,” did not regard the two as the same species. The following is Gentry’s characterization of C. aequinoctiales from the “Flora of the Venezuelan Guyana”:

Regards,

Farooq
mirafzalkhan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mirafzalkhan »

Farooq, the question was not about difference between Mansoa and Cydista ;)
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:What basic diffrence is there between saritaea magnifica , the glow vine and mansoa , the garlic vine.
They must be two different plants as Top Tropical Plants offers both. The garlic smell is prominent feature of Mansoa While it is not mentioned in Saritea Magnifica. Mine is Mansoa.
by Muhammad Arif Khan
SO WHICH ONE IS YOURS?
Yes sir your are right they are two different plants with very similar appearance, both belongs to "Bignoniaceae" family but different genera, Saritaea have only one Specie while Cydista is a genus that consists of more than twenty species. But I have no Idea what differences place them in different genera, mine is Cydista aequinoctialis (Synonym:Mansoa alliacea).

According to http://tomclothier.hort.net/

"In the world of botanical names, each name is required to be unique and refer to a single thing. If you are the first to discover a plant, you will give the plant an appropriate name. Subsequently, others may think that they have discovered a new plant, and each of them will give their new plant a suitable name. What happens, after the dust clears and it is discovered that all of these plants are in fact, the same plant? According to the International Society on Botanical Nomenclature, the first given name should take precedence, the other names are rejected, and thereafter referred to as synonyms. So a synonym, in plant names, is not like a synonym in our common language. In this context, a synonym is an illegitimate name, a name which has been rejected, and one which is not to be used, henceforth. "After the dust clears" is my term for the considerable number of years which may have passed before the determination of the "preferred name". In the meanwhile, the use of the synonym may continue unabated for decades until the information filters all the way down to the backyard gardener like you and me."

Return to “Plant Identification”