Discussion related to growing from seed

Moderator: Izhar

Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Seed Experiment

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

This experiment might be helpful for impatient gardeners like myself :P

I did a little experiment of starting seeds off season contrary to the advice given by the senior gardeners. No offense but there were 2 basic reasons for going against the advice. Firstly it might be my last season of such active gardening in near future because of professional commitments so i was impatient to make use of it ASAP. Moreover to see if these seeds would sprout and survive the hot/off weather.i.e defy the weather. My first attempt in May failed badly may be because of damping off or hot weather. This time the conditions were same, however i tried few new things which are proving beneficial till now. Weather at my place is Between 32(night)-41(day) Celsius. Very dry with only 1 moonsoon rain till now.

Sowing Medium
I sowed in pots on south facing shaded area. For two reasons. I wanted to avoid the extreme temperature/drought of the ground and more profoundly because when it rains here quite a bit of sandy soil of my garden goes with the water. meaning by washing away of seeds.

Medium i chose was two parts fine sand, one part coco peat, one part compost. but that was the body. i sowed seeds in a 1 cm film of compost layered at the top. Thinking that compost would most probably be sterile and soft. i used the internet for sowing instructions for each seed variety. after sowing seed i sprinkled cinnamon powder as anti fungal. i am watering very lightly and put the pedestal fan on after watering for quick evaporation of excess water and also in very hot part of the day.

Seed Varieties sown. (20 Jul)
Failures caused by seed bank to expand quite a lot. for initial experiment i sowed 50 variates that seemed appropriate. Because of large number of varieties i sowed in the style nursery people sow due to space limitations.

Seed sprouted and doing well

Zinnias different cultivars, Roslina pnaca creeper mix, Mina Lobata/Spanish Flag, Ipomoea purpurea, Pelargonium, Ornamental Pepper, Dahlia, Calendula sherbet fizz, Blue Diadem corn flower, Gillardia Lorenzo, Gillardia unknown cultivar, Sweet Williams, Echinacea pallida, Madia fruits, Celosia fresh look, Echinacea White swan, Mexican hat, Lupin, Gomphrena, Sunflower Russian giant/Mulan rouge, Rudbeckia, Tegetes French/African, Calico flower, Amberboa muricata, Cosmos bipanthus, Verbena, Phlox cecelli, Coleus Black KEW, Hollyhock, Geranium, Pea, Lemon Grass

Not Sprouted as yet

Coreopsis, love in a mist, Pansy, Marvel of peru, Aquilegia, Cobaea Scandens, Alyssum, Amaranthus, Delphinium, Hosta , Banksia and Traffic lights.

Will keep this topic updated with pictures of the seedlings......will be grateful for any tips

The setting

Huge false leaves of this unknown vine (roslina pnaca)

Mina Lobata/Spanish Flag

Ipomoea purpurea

Celosia Fresh look(T& M) and calico ivy sown a month ago

Surprise box with lot of seeds......i think its geraniums sprouting

Dahlia

Zinnias

Cornflower blue diadem
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Seed Experiment

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

What is the objective?
khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

I think that is very courageous to try all these seeds in this heat. Infact i m tempted.

So what made the difference in both efforts farhan, the soil, shade or anything else?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
KAMasud
City: RawalPindi

Post by KAMasud »

I think it was the temperature and the environment, he got every thing just right. Good experiment, well done.

It should teach us the importance of micro management of the environment and the micro climate which he copied nature quite well.

Regards.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

you have changed my concepts of seed germination, i don't even think at this temp seeds could sprout, lets hope damp off will not effect it. GOODLUCK and keep us updated.

regards,
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Its the perfect time for Marigolds(tagets),Celosia,calico vein.but not fit time for cool season crop.the seeds will sprout any time but the plants do not give the desired results.even they will not reach to flowering stage.Mari golds & celosia are basically autumn flowering annuals.in our country people sow seeds of cocks comb along zinnia & portulaca.note that cocks comb & ceolasia do not give the desired results in hot summers.in autumn they are very very attractive.Ceolsia Kewpie & Kimono are ultimate.in cocks comb Prestige scarlet is best.
KAMasud
City: RawalPindi

Post by KAMasud »

Sir jee, it is quite possible he carried this experiment in some place other then Karachi. If it is Risalpur then, what is the climate like in Risalpur. Is it cooler then the major part of Pakistan? I have passed through but never waited to check the flora and fauna of the area. If it is some where matching some thing like Murree, Khairagalli, Karror or even Lower Topa. Then, why not?
Regards.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

50 % seedlings LOST...........

The reason i am not sure.....some were doing gr8 but then suddenly starting collapsing....like in damping off or may be due to hot weather....but in my view soil was adequately sterile.

Other reason could be drainage which was due to placing pots in shade.

On the other hand some seeds i sowed in beds are performing better........

Following have survived and i can say............ can be sown in hot weather.....

Zinnias only local seeds survived, Ipomoea Alba, Ornamental Pepper, Blue Diadem corn flower, Celosia fresh look, Sunflower Russian giant, Rudbeckia, Tegetes French/African, Calico flower, Amberboa muricata, Cosmos bipanthus, , Phlox cecelli, Coleus Black KEW, Hollyhock.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

thats what i mentioned in my earlier post.the seeds will sprout but not survive.the seedlings which survived some will not reach to maturity enough to flower.Calico is nice vein,place it in plastic green house during frost months.Maris golds,Zinnias & Celosia will flower in autumn for u.but golds are the most beautiful,specially if you are growing the giants,the Incas.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Post by Syed Adnan »

Syed Adnan wrote:you have changed my concepts of seed germination, i don't even think at this temp seeds could sprout, lets hope damp off will not effect it. GOODLUCK and keep us updated.

regards,

My concepts are restored .

Return to “Growing form Seed”