Mixed results on germination.. advise needed..

Discussion related to growing from seed

Moderator: Izhar

MOHAN SINGH
City: LUDHIANA
Gardening Interests: Novice gardener trying annuals on my new terrace container garden.

Mixed results on germination.. advise needed..

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

Hello everyone,

Out of my excitement for a floral spring this season and the tips from this forum I have sown the following winter annuals in seed trays :

Petunia
Sown first in last week of September in trays with polythene covered in shade, got to germinate almost 70-75% but then probably i was too early and the seedlings could not take the fluctuating temp of october and november. Finally left with only 2 seedlings. I know this flower is tough to germinate but then thats what probably motivated me to get my hands on it. From the first week of october onward i have been trying various variables for ex. Sheet covered/not covered, shade/full sunlight but no success really.

I am up with the final attempt on petunias now sown on Sunday last week with polythene covered in full sun, the temperature range is 9-25 degree Celsius, the recommended temp for petunias. Is there anything else i can do to improve my chances?

Snapdragons.
Same story as petunias. Currently up with the last attempt.

Dianthus
I would say successful. I have loads of dianthus seedlings now planted in tyre planters and thermo glasses for gifts and transplants.

Dahlia
I would say successful. I have loads of dahlia already transplanted and some for gifts.

Osteospermum
Miserable result. Only one seedling growing slow but healthy. So less literature available on it making it tough for me. I nicked/stratified/kept in water overnight done all but no success. Is there any specific way of doing it. Please guide.

Phlox Drummondi
Good germination and result. Up with the final attempt for some more.

Viola
Got to germinate one but since I had to visit my hometown same story as suffered by petunias and snaps. Please guide if anything specific required for it.

Gerbera
I have got some dried flowers shall be trying the seeds. Will update results. Suggestions appreciated.

Apart from these i have planted spinach, saag, methi, garlic, beets, California poppy, 10-15 broccolis which are growing well for which shall be starting the fertilizer schedule first with urea.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Mixed results on germination.. advise needed..

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Better than mine.
Good luck.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Petunia are not at all difficult and take the high temps/ fluctuations easily except for frost and high humidity... just keep them bright shade but dont cover after germination... what is the media you have used???

Osteospermums need better drainage initially and are prone to fungal infections... otherwise they have 90% germination...

Please refer to my post on potting soil for seedling, it gives me best germination results and healthy seedlings to transplant...
MOHAN SINGH
Gardening Interests: Novice gardener trying annuals on my new terrace container garden.

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

I don't know may be its the prejudice created in my mind from the Internet reading everywhere that petunias are tricky.

I was using a different mix inittialy for summer which was a complete failure till i came across your mix. I am actually using your mix. My mix consists of coco coir (not the commercial available peat but shredded from the coconut coir, though not as finely chopped as the commercial one ) : compost : sand/neheri bhal(this term is not used in india but i understand is the same sandy grey soil used my nurseries, i got some from a nearby nursery). So all in all its coco:sand/bhal:compost in equal parts.

The first batch i sowed in sep last week got a gud rate of germination, it was kept in a room all day since temp was high those days. I lost almost 80% after that. Now there are 2-3 left (growing healthy probably because the temp is very pleasant now) but the interesting part is that since i guess i had sown in excess seedlings keep emerging and keep going. Some emerged in november 2nd week but since i was away they did not get the kind of attention they should have got.

Now am trying the last batch, these are in seed trays, covered in plastic sheet(dome shape for gud humdiity), kept in full sun (max temp is 25C, so burning should not be issue), watered with a spray bottle. I sowed last Sunday, its 8th day now.

Osteos kind of repudiated my assumption that bigger seeds are easy to germinate. These are also in the seed trays but no movement till now.

Considering that the temp here is 10-25 these days which is considered the best as given on the packets are there chances for germination now and if yes the fate of seedlings surviving the winter?
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Loss of seedling is due to fungal infections if you are watering them well during hot weather... we sow petunia during 34-36 degree Centigrade and the come well.. do you have any fungicide?? if yes then spray it next time after sowing seeds..
MOHAN SINGH

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

34-36C ?... that is something i must say.. cant imagine sowing at those temps.. but then probably that's why i am here .. to learn from the practical perspective... ya my friend advised me bavestine but since now the chances for fungal infection are minimal i did not bother about it...
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

We sow all winter season annuals, except for few, in October, see the below link:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/pk/karach ... 10/01/2015

This is the purpose of this forum to get the personal experiences of our own region... internet knowledge is mostly from northern side of world... which is at many times not applicable..
MOHAN SINGH

Post by MOHAN SINGH »

glad to know i am at the right place..
xcroon
Gardening Interests: Want to learn about flowers/plants propagation, cuttings,making potting mixture, sowing seeds etc.

Post by xcroon »

Izhar wrote:Petunia are not at all difficult and take the high temps/ fluctuations easily except for frost and high humidity... just keep them bright shade but dont cover after germination... what is the media you have used???

Osteospermums need better drainage initially and are prone to fungal infections... otherwise they have 90% germination...

Please refer to my post on potting soil for seedling, it gives me best germination results and healthy seedlings to transplant...
Asalam-u-Alaikum Izhar Bhai,

This is Muhammad Kashif from Karachi, joined this group few days back. I am new in Gardening. Izhar Bhai i want to ask you about PETUNIA'S & PANSY Plants.

I sowed seeds of both flowers in separate pots on 13-11-2015 and both germinated in 7 days but still too small on 08/12/15 and cant transplanted. I asked to Mali in Nursery near Karachi University he said put some ojri ki khaad in soil. IS THIS OK? I should place both pots in full sun or semi shade or full shade?

Awaiting for your reply,
Regards,
Muhammad Kashif.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Place under full sun and transplant them in Mid January... dont use any khaad... prepare a soil mix of 1:2 ratio of mitti:khaad for transplanting...

Return to “Growing form Seed”