Moderator: Izhar

AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Sago Palm from seed

Post by AhmadIrfan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVDTD2Z7ONE

Check out the youtube video, have personally tried this method but does take a long time for the palm to develop.
UMAR KHAN

Re: Sago Palm from seed

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Ahmad have you the male sago palm.because to germinate the seeds you need the polen.90 % of sagos are females.it needs a great luck to get a male sago palm.i have seen two males at Fateh muhammad nursery islamabad.but the nursery men never sale the males.if you have no male plant then you can never germinate the seeds.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

Yes i have around 10 female plants and 2 male plants and a few which i think will be male plants, the male plants doo take a longer time to mature but the male plants grow to a bigger size than the female plants. If you want I can always give you the seeds when i harvest them, every year have about 200 -300 seeds
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Oh no Ahmad i have a mature male plant & three female plants.i do not sale plants.i only plant them for sake of my hobby.i also the Italian & zambia palms(6 years old) but they are not mature yet.Ahmad i do not even remove the offsets along the trunks of the plants.
have you tried hand polination in sagos.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

I dont sell them either just a hobby for me too a few of my sago palms were offsets taken around 7-8 years agofrom the originally 4 sago palms, soo they have matured too, its a faster way of producing a plant compared to the seeds.i have around a100 off sets planted in pots.
I too have a 12 year old zambia but the seeds for the zambia dry out to quickly have never been able to breed it. I was able to breed the talium palm last year but the seeds didnt germinate
And yes i hand pollinate my sago palms i mite have a few seeds left from last year i usuaaly just give the seeds away takes 3 months to germinate.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

it seems you have special love for Cycades & Palms.Ahmad i want to grow foxtail & Queen palms.but one of my cousin told me Foxtails are not winter tolerent and dies down in winter.Queen palm is winter hardy.a nurseryman told me it has tarted eating share of the popular Bottle palm.i think we should try it.have any experince of these two.please guide me about these two.
you are right off sets are fast than seeds in case of sago.but haji islam(rukah wali,kasur) told me that a plant grown from offset produce one step of leaves in a season where as the plant from seed produce three steps.
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

i already have planted the foxtail palm traded it in last year for a few seasonal flowers, havent really seen a queens palm in lahore post a picture if you have any of the queens palm.
as far as the leaves are concerned, in my experience its just a matter of maturity of the plant, as some of my offsets have matured over the years the leave count has come down to once or twice a year from 3-4 times a year.
Attachments
Female sago and female talium both were offsets
Female sago and female talium both were offsets
Female Sago
Female Sago
foxtail
foxtail
AhmadIrfan
Donor
Donor

Post by AhmadIrfan »

a
Attachments
Male sago with 6 shoots
Male sago with 6 shoots
zembia
zembia
Male talium with 5 shoots
Male talium with 5 shoots
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

your plants are exta ordinary beautifull.sago & tallium are very hardy.but one of my Zambia died last winter although i covered it in plastic sheet.what can be the cause.i was waiting may be it send new foliage but here noting to this very day.i want to plant foxtail is it winter hardy.i will plant 5 Queen palm this year.once i posted my sagos & tallium pictures but i think no one is intrested in these plants.Ahmad wha you have planted in annuals this season.i have planted Pansy F1 Mammoth,Petunia F1 Ultra,F1 Hulahoop,F1 Wave,Verbena Quartz mix,Antirrhinum F1 Sonnet,Ranunculus F1 Bloomingdale mix,Mesembry magic carpet mix,Carnation F1 Liliput mix.i have droped Cineraria,Mimulus & Nemesia this year.
UMAR KHAN

Post by UMAR KHAN »

Ahmad i can see a ficus Hawai in your garden.its really my favorite ficus.i aso have two plants.another ficus i like is the black ficus but it drps leaves in the winter & is killed by frost.

Return to “Growing form Seed”