Growing aquilegia from seed

Discussion related to growing from seed

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Growing aquilegia from seed

Post by khabbab »

Anyone has grown aquilegia from seed? If seed is sown in fall, will they flower in spring? Seeds difficult to germinate? I think they require cool climate to flower from seeds? Species should be preferred over hybird?

Probably Aquilegia chrysantha specially var. hinckleyana 'Texas Gold' is most heat tolerant species. And it is fragrant as well:)
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Growing aquilegia from seed

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

My experience deters me to try it again. Although I have seen it blooming at ATS house 3Km from Thokar on Raiwind Road. Their garden is fantastic and so is their air conditioned green house. Highly paid Horticulturist has over 50 Malies working under him. The garden is usually open to public on 23rd March.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:My experience deters me to try it again. Although I have seen it blooming at ATS house 3Km from Thokar on Raiwind Road. Their garden is fantastic and so is their air conditioned green house. Highly paid Horticulturist has over 50 Malies working under him. The garden is usually open to public on 23rd March.
I have seen some plants naturalized in lahore at more than one places. There are some heat tolerant species as well, If these species can grow in arizona heat they can grow in lahore as well. One of my aquilegia bloomed till 28th april in my soil bed this year:)
Lahore gardening blog
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

I think you ve both seen my aquilegias blooming and yes they were grown from seed. Aquilegias wont bloom in 10'' pots or smaller.Mine took 15months to bloom.
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

tweedle2009 wrote:I think you ve both seen my aquilegias blooming and yes they were grown from seed. Aquilegias wont bloom in 10'' pots or smaller.Mine took 15months to bloom.
And you sowed the seeds in october in lahore i guess? I am thinking of buying some ultimate collection of aquilegia seeds if you give me a helping hand in germination ;)
Lahore gardening blog
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

khabbab wrote:
tweedle2009 wrote:I think you ve both seen my aquilegias blooming and yes they were grown from seed. Aquilegias wont bloom in 10'' pots or smaller.Mine took 15months to bloom.
And you sowed the seeds in october in lahore i guess? I am thinking of buying some ultimate collection of aquilegia seeds if you give me a helping hand in germination ;)
You'r always welcome.There are some double varieties and fragrant ones.Try them but wait untill august/september to purchase your seeds.
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

tweedle2009 wrote:
khabbab wrote:
You'r always welcome.There are some double varieties and fragrant ones.Try them but wait untill august/september to purchase your seeds.
I expect you might have some secret key to germination of aquilegia seeds :P But i checked from internet, Seeds are large enough to be germinated through moist ziplock baggie method which is my favorite method. So i will try them for sure in September and yes mix will include both double and fragrant ones as well. You sowed your seeds in September in lahore?
Lahore gardening blog
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

khabbab wrote:
I expect you might have some secret key to germination of aquilegia seeds :P But i checked from internet, Seeds are large enough to be germinated through moist ziplock baggie method which is my favorite method. So i will try them for sure in September and yes mix will include both double and fragrant ones as well. You sowed your seeds in September in lahore?[/quote]

I think it was october or november.I use gibberallic acid to trick seeds :0) put them in refrigerator in a moist coco peat bag.Sow as you see signs of any sort of growth.
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

Strange to see my aquilegia still producing new buds in this heat. Although buds are very small and flowers even smaller but making new buds in this heat, i am surprised.
Lahore gardening blog
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

khabbab wrote:Strange to see my aquilegia still producing new buds in this heat. Although buds are very small and flowers even smaller but making new buds in this heat, i am surprised.
Mine are showing signs of new growth after hving faced xtreme summer heat.

Return to “Growing form Seed”