Share tips for growing tomatoes

The how to's, cultivation details of various plants, propagation methods etc Everything you need to know for successful gardening.

Moderator: Izhar

khabbab
Founder
Founder
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Share tips for growing tomatoes

Post by khabbab »

Here are some personal tips to have good yield:
1- When transplanting, always bury the whole stem, except first top set of leaves. The stem buried will grow roots as well.
2- Never allow your young plants to go on flowering. If they go to fruiting, the yield will not be good as plant still not has established its root system extensively. I always pinch the buds of my cherry tomatoes, until they get thick stems and many branches. For vine types, side shooting will do the job.
3- High potash in when flowering commences. I feed with NPK 5-15-45 liquid fertilizer. I never damaged any tomato plant with high fertilization. They are always hungry (I grow in pots).
4- Full direct sun in winter and spring. In hot months, i give 5 hours direct morning sun only.
5- There are many beefsteak varieties which yield heavy. Remember cherry ones have more resistance to adverse conditions, pests,heat and humidity.

Do share your tips if you got any!!!!
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Share tips for growing tomatoes

Post by Izhar »

Staking or support is a must for a healthy plant.. the distance should be greater than 8-9 inches between every plant in bed.. they prefer a semi-shade kinda location or a direct afternoon sun.. you can easily multiply your favorite plant by tip cuttings, they root so easily... fruits should be checked frequently for any hole and if found, the whole fruit should be plucked immediately as the grubs inside release a pheromone which lure the other pests to lay their eggs on that plant.. in the open pollinated varieties every plant is different so don't expect same yield from every individual plant.. select the better ones and discard others.. multiply the better ones through cuttings..
Johara
Donor
Donor

Post by Johara »

Khabbab and Izhar,

Thank you, this is very helpful.
Omar

Post by Omar »

Khabbab, Izhar, one quick query; my black cherry tomato plants are otherwise very healthy, thick stems, good growth everything. I feed them with high potash feed 18-0-36 on weekly basis since the flowering. However, now flowers are fading and dropping without forming any fruit. Need guidance so that the situation is curtailed as early as possible.
thanks.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Try a solution having micro nutrition specially boron.
Lahore gardening blog
Omar

Post by Omar »

khabbab wrote:Try a solution having micro nutrition specially boron.
does boric acid, pure or solution, have the same effect as that of agricultural grade boron??
khabbab
Founder
Founder

Post by khabbab »

I doubt so. But i am not expert on chemistry. Izhar might tell something.

There are some products available at Arain Seeds Multan road lahore having boron specially for bud drop.
Lahore gardening blog
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Plants are growing very well, I guess increased nitrogen rather then micro-nutrient deficiency... which medium did you used?? have you tried hand-pollination?? and yes boric acid solution can be used
Omar

Post by Omar »

Izhar wrote:Plants are growing very well, I guess increased nitrogen rather then micro-nutrient deficiency... which medium did you used?? have you tried hand-pollination?? and yes boric acid solution can be used
I came to the same conclusion that nitrogen was excess, so I remove top loose compost that I applied 2 weeks ago and applied simple soil. I used 30% leaf compost in 70% bhal and planted in pots, some plants are planted in soil bed but their flowers have not bloomed yet. and as far as hand pollination is concerned, it would not be practical for me to do, partly due to schedule and primarily due to delicacy of hand pollination ;) will wait for 15 more days for changes in plants behavior.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Omar, give your plants more time... say till end of May :)

Return to “Knowledge Hub”