Share tips for growing tomatoes

The how to's, cultivation details of various plants, propagation methods etc Everything you need to know for successful gardening.

Moderator: Izhar

Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Re: Share tips for growing tomatoes

Post by Izhar »

These are good choices.. add 2-3 granules of DAP every week, the quantity seems small but will benefit the plant alot... insert the granules along with the wall of container, the roots are concentrated on the walls so the absorption would be maximized..
I am giving my plants Engro Zarkhez 8:23:18, every week in small quantity and i have Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate), i dissolve 2 tablespoon in 10 liters and water my plants monthly with this solution..
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Izhar wrote:These are good choices.. add 2-3 granules of DAP every week, the quantity seems small but will benefit the plant alot... insert the granules along with the wall of container, the roots are concentrated on the walls so the absorption would be maximized..
I am giving my plants Engro Zarkhez 8:23:18, every week in small quantity and i have Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate), i dissolve 2 tablespoon in 10 liters and water my plants monthly with this solution..
I could'nt find that formulation of Engro Zarkhez 8:23:18 here they have the usual one with high N concentration which i dont use on tomatoes instead i go for the balanced one and after all the fruit is set i will spray the plants with an interval of 10 days with solu-potash, and what is the utility of epsom salts on tomatoes and other plants any specific reason.
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Magnesium is the component of chlorophyll and all solanceae family is considered to be magnesium hungry, epsom salt has been used traditionally for tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, citrus, brugmansia, roses and many perennials.. my motia responded well to epsom salt this season.. i got it from the local chemical market for Rs.35/kg
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Izhar wrote:Magnesium is the component of chlorophyll and all solanceae family is considered to be magnesium hungry, epsom salt has been used traditionally for tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, citrus, brugmansia, roses and many perennials.. my motia responded well to epsom salt this season.. i got it from the local chemical market for Rs.35/kg
OMG :D the seedstore here is selling it at 350 rupees/1.25kg imported vitax brand, thanks bhai you saved me :lol: can i purchase it from any chemical store? what should i ask for at the shop when i go buy :)
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Here in Karachi, there is an old market by the name of Jodia bazar, you name the chemical and they have it.. i just tell the chemical name like ferrous sulfate or ammonium sulfate to the shopkeeper there.. purchased Ferrous sulfate for Rs.45/kg, Ammonium sulfate for Rs.90/kg, elemental sulfur Rs.40/kg... dont know about Rawalpindi's chemical market, in Lahore it is Akbari mandi..
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Izhar wrote:Here in Karachi, there is an old market by the name of Jodia bazar, you name the chemical and they have it.. i just tell the chemical name like ferrous sulfate or ammonium sulfate to the shopkeeper there.. purchased Ferrous sulfate for Rs.45/kg, Ammonium sulfate for Rs.90/kg, elemental sulfur Rs.40/kg... dont know about Rawalpindi's chemical market, in Lahore it is Akbari mandi..
Thanks bhai i'll search it in the famous Raja Bazar of Rawalpindi :)
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

I searched the market today but didnt find the cheap chemical market, instead i had to buy magnesium sulphate (MgSo4) for 200 per pound but still i got it :)
here are the pics please guide me if it is the right stuff and what quantities should be used... and also tell me if i can buy potassium sulphate (K2SO4) as a source of potash for spraying the plants.
Attachments
Photo0618 (FILEminimizer).jpg
Photo0617 (FILEminimizer).jpg
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Yes, thats it.. yes you can buy it but you were buying the soluble potash..??
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Izhar wrote:Yes, thats it.. yes you can buy it but you were buying the soluble potash..??
Yes i was buying that solu-potash but its expensive 1000 rupees per 900 gms, instead i found the same type of chemical potassium sulphate of sulphate of potash which i was using earlier of vitax brand for 120 rupee per pound :D , and the store keeper said it is water soluble too... so should i buy that ?
Izhar

Post by Izhar »

Potassium sulfate is less soluble, you can apply it on the soil rather then foliar...

Return to “Knowledge Hub”