SOMETHING TROUBLING MY CHILLIES

Advice on Veggies, Herbs and Fruits

Moderator: Izhar

Madiha Humbal
City: Karachi

Re: SOMETHING TROUBLING MY CHILLIES

Post by Madiha Humbal »

DEAR FELLOW MEMBERS OF THE FORUM. I REGREFULLY INFORM YOU THAT I WAS SUCCESSFUL IN KILLING ALMOST ALL OF MY BELOVED PLANTS BY USING MORTIEN ON THEM. :cry: FIVE MONTHS OF MY HARD LABOUR AND PATIENCE GONE TO DRAIN DUE TO NO SHEER STUPIDITY. WILL HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH. WELL LESSON WELL LEARNT. PLEASE DONT USE NORMAL HOUSEHOLD PESTICIDES ON YOUR PLANTS. ONLY USE THE ONES ESPECIALLY MADE FOR THE PLANTS.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

There is rising concern about pesticides, used on plants for food, causing endocrine disruption, meaning that the residual pesticides appear to be changing hormone levels in our populations. Its better if you cycle them and then that way the pest don't build up resistance and you don't use products that are more toxic than required.

for example

1. Start off with one that you have manufactured yourself from home ingredients, examples include garlic and neem extracts
2. If unsuccessful then commercially prepared organic pesticides which are usually more concentrated.
3. Try minimising/removing the issues that may be causing the plants susceptibility to pest and disease.
4. If that fails then be ruthless, throw the plant away and start again
5. If truly and objectively the plant is valuable (uncommon, rare, spectacular example etc) consider a chemical with least impact on your environment, your health and those of your children. there are many experienced users on here who can give you factual guidelines.

Remember it is the highest form of self-respect to admit our mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgement but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character. GOOD LUCK

regards
Ifzaal
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

I agree with the concern about the use of pesticides & go along with the course of action suggested by Newton.
FSKamal
Gardening Interests: Vegetable, herbs in containers

Post by FSKamal »

Lazar is a pesticide and need to be used highly diluted 10 mil per litre of water and then spray lightly.
newton
City: jhelum

Post by newton »

ASA

I have looked up the lazar pesticide you mention but cant find any information on it, please outline any other names or instructions you have for it.

Yes there is a place for chemical pesticide usages but its important to include the positives as well as the negatives of chemicals and any alternative treatments specific to the problem pest. That way the forum doesn't become an outlet promoting commercial pesticides as the best easiest and cheapest products.

I note you grow herbs/veg etc which are fast growing and freshly plucked straight from the garden for kitchen use etc im thinking would misdilution affect any chutney/salads etc

Your response would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ifzal
FSKamal

Post by FSKamal »

Can someone here name some pesticide for vegetable plants that are less harmful.
FSKamal

Post by FSKamal »

FSKamal wrote:Lazar is a pesticide and need to be used highly diluted 10 mil per litre of water and then spray lightly.
I have a question how much is 10ML, can you help tell me how many litres will be one cap of the Lazar bottle for .
Izhar
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

you can measure 10ml accurately by using a disposable syringe... usually the pesticides are used 3ml/ litre of water
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Izhar wrote:you can measure 10ml accurately by using a disposable syringe... usually the pesticides are used 3ml/ litre of water
Is 1ml equal to 1cc or what is the ratio ?
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Munir wrote: Is 1ml equal to 1cc or what is the ratio ?
Munir sb, both are identical quantities, 1 mL is by definition = 1 cubic centimeters

For general & new members, kindly follow the exact directions given on the bottle. If you are are unsure of the directions, please ask someone. This is important for your own safety and others as well.

Return to “Kitchen Gardening”