SOMETHING TROUBLING MY CHILLIES

Advice on Veggies, Herbs and Fruits

Moderator: Izhar

Madiha Humbal
City: Karachi

SOMETHING TROUBLING MY CHILLIES

Post by Madiha Humbal »

AOA,
a couple pf months age i planted some green chillies. now i am noticing that the new leaves of the green chilli plant are really curly. is it normal. have i missed something or is my plant facing some deficiency. can u please have a look at the picture and see whats the problem.

i also planted some cucumbers, bitter gourd and cherry tomato plants in 7 inch diameter pots. but someone said that they might be too small for them. should i shift the m to my other 10 inch pots. the pics are given below.

Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Re: SOMETHING TROUBLING MY CHILLIES

Post by Mustansir Billah »

Observe your chili plant carefully there might be some sort of spider mite or it may be because of scorching sun. Yes! the pot pot size is small as to fulfil the need. you have to plant them in at least 10" to 12" pot but the bigger the better. The size of the pot is directly proportional to the yield of the crop i.e the bigger the pot the better yield you will get.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Remove the affected part/cut back
spray general purpose pesticide.
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

i will cut back the plant but should i just remove the affected leaves or cut hte main stem as well. also, i read somewhere that sun is good for the chillies. i recieve eight hours of direct sunlight on my patio. shall i put it in shade or a place where i can protect it from so much heat.
dragoonsers

Post by dragoonsers »

Sunlight is Good. Check for any insects you can see over and under the leaves. Also, about the chilli, one plant per pot right? I see multiple stems.
Asim_Nawaz
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

If you remove the affected part of stem, can you apply pesticide spray? It's better you can spray not only this plant but all new growing vegetables seedling.
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

dragoonsers wrote:Sunlight is Good. Check for any insects you can see over and under the leaves. Also, about the chilli, one plant per pot right? I see multiple stems.
i saw the spider maggots under the leaves as suggested by MR. Billah. and there are multiple plant in the pots. will it affect the growth of the plants or not.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

You can separate the seedlings and place them at a shaded location for few days so that plant again gets established. Be careful and try to not to damage roots.
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

thankyou for the advise. i sprayed the plants with the household pesticide spray and all of the leaves suddenly died. i panicked and washed it off urgently and cut back all the plants leaving the parts that were unaffected. the leaves just burned with the contact of the spray. i used Mortien for the purpose can u please suggest which pesticide to use so that no such things happens in the future when pests attack my plants.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

That's what happened with me in haze I also sprayed insecticide not concerning the amount and my chilli plant was also burned. Use pesticide that are formulated for plants and strictly follow the instructions over the label and if it is not working use other pesticide.

Return to “Kitchen Gardening”