Double Delight or Cherry Parfait!

Moderator: Izhar

Rafaiy
City: Rawalpindi

Double Delight or Cherry Parfait!

Post by Rafaiy »

A0A!
Hope every1 is fine and doing good, now coming to the topic, bought this rose a few weeks back, the first rose has bloomed, physically its similar to double delight as well as cherry parfait, the confusing thing is that it has a sweet fragrance which i guess is the characteristic of D.D, whereas C.F has no fragrance...comments and suggestions welcome :) ...

UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Re: Double Delight or Cherry Parfait!

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Straw berries dip in Vanilla with strong spicey fragrance with medium growth habit its DOUBLE DELIGHT.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

The color is so faint, my DD has always been very dark and CP are smaller roses with no fragrance...

My DD:
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

I am not a roserian but to me Not only the colour but the formation of the flower is also not the same, so one of them or may be both are mislabelled.
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

I agree with sir arif.
Izhar's DD has the most Resemblance with most frequently available images if DD.
Really beautiful image.......catch at first sight.
Rafique
Rafaiy

Post by Rafaiy »

I think Umar is right here because the plant under discussion is a new rose bush from the nursery which was very weak as all D.D available this season are not that healthy, the bush had only one bud on a weak stem which was further weakened due to the last spell of rain, had to support it with sticks just to let the bud bloom in order to confirm its identity and in the end as it can be seen in the pictures the rose has not yet bloomed completed but had to remove it due to another spell of rain which started last evening here :)...

Nevertheless thanks to everyone for their suggestions and InshALLAH will post new pics when my D.D gains strength in the ground :)...

And a beautiful D.D you have there Izhar :) ...
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Look at all the D.D blooms & you will find the shades different.its because it really depends on the sun light hours that changes the colors of some roses.D.D. also changes color.The plant which receives 7 hours direct sun light will be different in shade from which receives 5 hours of sun.which is in shady location (4 hrs light) will mostly be of cream color.Paradise,Paradise found,Papameiland,Black baccara are few examples which change shades depending on the sun light & fertilization.Black baccara is the darkest red on the market.you will get the same results as shown on tags if you reduce the hours of direct sun light & fertilizers.in full sun & high feed it will change color & becomes normal red.
Cherry parfait has 35 petal count & is nonfragrant Grandiflora where as D.D has 35-45 petal count,is fragrant hybrid tea.there is also another very popular Grandiflora with same shades Dick Clark which is non fragrant with 30 petal count.
Rafiy you bush was in green house when you purchased.i mean in filtered sun so the % of cream is high.i hope you got my point.
Rafaiy

Post by Rafaiy »

Exactly Umar that´s what i was trying to say... thanks alot for your guidance :) ...
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Cherry Parfait can best be defined as a cheap mimic to DD. I think it propagates easier that's why it's in the market. Why have CP when one can have DD??.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Dr sb D.D is also my favorite.but when it comes to the rose growers they like disease resistant plants which can perform under extreme weather conditions.Fragrance is also important.but if you look at the roserians they prefer the variety which is resistant to black spot,powdery mildew & downy mildew plus die back.Cherry parfait is very very disease resistant & is also very robust grower.it can withstand even on -10 C temp.its another thing we don,t have that temps here.on the international market its popular for these traits & is also AARS winner.the main thing its very good on its own roots.
But all these qualities are reversed in our local market.its easily grafted & is quick grower so that the main reason our local grafters are encouraging it.another thing they are misguiding the new gardeners.they are selling it as D.D , this is bad.mis tagging is common in our local market.

Return to “Roses”