Soil mix for roses

Moderator: Izhar

aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Soil mix for roses

Post by aykhan »

I pulled most of my roses out of the ground in the heat of May-June. I now want to put them back in again since the weather is somewhat better in the 30s. I want to do it right this time. There are various recommendations for soil mixes for roses and I would like to get the opinion of this forum also. I was thinking, dig a hole 2 feet deep and wide per rose (I know it might be overkill but what the heck!). Place rotted cow manure (gobar) in the bottom 6 inches and then top it off with a mixture of one part native soil (which is bhal), one part peat moss (pH 6 with slow release fertilizer - Pindstrup) and one part Gardengreen compost. Any opinions will be appreciated.
While you're at it, any suggestions for a soil mix for Sweet Patrea?
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Soil mix for roses

Post by M Farooq »

aykhan wrote:I pulled most of my roses out of the ground in the heat of May-June. I now want to put them back in again since the weather is somewhat better in the 30s. I want to do it right this time. There are various recommendations for soil mixes for roses and I would like to get the opinion of this forum also. I was thinking, dig a hole 2 feet deep and wide per rose (I know it might be overkill but what the heck!). Place rotted cow manure (gobar) in the bottom 6 inches and then top it off with a mixture of one part native soil (which is bhal), one part peat moss (pH 6 with slow release fertilizer - Pindstrup) and one part Gardengreen compost. Any opinions will be appreciated.
One can feel that your soil mix is quite fancy and sounds professional. My brother was really fond of roses and every year he and I would do the same; pulled out the roses and kept a minimum of root stock with old soil. Then we used to mix old cow manure and sifted bhal soil very well rather than place layers of different things. Judging by the colours the bhalo soil used become dark brown on wetting. After planting the root stock, we would top the soil a layer of just old manure. That was it. This simplest possible soil mix used to give a wonderful time the following winter.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

So I'm not the only crazy one :D ! The reason to put manure at the bottom is so the new roots don't burn and also when the sturdy roots reach down finally, there is good nourishment for them.
ayub

Post by ayub »

Plz elaborate the "pulling out", do you put the rose plants in some container for a time being or just pull out and after putting the soil mix replant it instantly.
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

ayub wrote:Plz elaborate the "pulling out", do you put the rose plants in some container for a time being or just pull out and after putting the soil mix replant it instantly.
Pulling out meant that one starts digging out the soil around the perimeter of the plant's roots (may be one ~ 2 foot diameter) and enough depth that main root is not damaged. The root stock then comes out as a block. The perimeter is wide enough as not to damage the main roots of the roses.

SInce there is enough soil around the rose roots, it is not necessary to place it in a pot. It is ideal to transfer the rose back to new soil the same day. May be you can keep them under shade if the rose has to be re-planted the next day.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Well I pulled them out careful not to damage the roots and have them in in clay pots now.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Is this pulling out and putting in every year NECESSARY?
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

No. I just pulled them out since I wanted the flower colors adjusted and thought I would put a better soil mix since they hadn't flowered as well as I had wanted them to in the spring. As the knowledge of gardening increases, I guess one wants to start things over and do them right :D
shahwon

Post by shahwon »

aykhan wrote:I pulled most of my roses out of the ground in the heat of May-June. I now want to put them back in again since the weather is somewhat better in the 30s. I want to do it right this time. There are various recommendations for soil mixes for roses and I would like to get the opinion of this forum also. I was thinking, dig a hole 2 feet deep and wide per rose (I know it might be overkill but what the heck!). Place rotted cow manure (gobar) in the bottom 6 inches and then top it off with a mixture of one part native soil (which is bhal), one part peat moss (pH 6 with slow release fertilizer - Pindstrup) and one part Gardengreen compost. Any opinions will be appreciated.
While you're at it, any suggestions for a soil mix for Sweet Patrea?
==============================
Roses need 5.5 t0 7.00 pH of soil, check your soil pH
Sorry, I do not have pH details for Sweet Patrea

Return to “Roses”