Amaryllis Breeding

Moderator: Izhar

Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Amaryllis Breeding

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Hippeastrums are Species and hybrids.
Hybrids have crossed so often that the seedling can have genetic throw back to any of its ancestors. So when you cross two hybrids the result may not be to your expectations, the seedlings will surprise you with the variation.
Crossing species have better chances of giving desired results.

Sown under the same conditions the seedling will vary in size, roughly the large, middle and the small ones. Some like to use terms, strong, average and weaklings.
Hens-Werner believes the weaklings should be destroyed as they will remain problematic; I feel that may be these are genetically small bulbs and may be even more pleasing.

Two year old seedlings growing under same conditions, observe the difference in size of bulbs.

This seedling of mine had two scapes but the size of bulb is about 1 ½ inches in diameter.

The siblings of seedlings illustrated in first picture were planted last year in separate beds. They are all growing well and maintain the same relationship in size. It would be interesting to see the result when they start blooming next year.
Arif
Rohail Asad
City: Wah-Cantt
Gardening Interests: I have interest in flowering plants(both annuals and perennials)

Re: Amaryllis Breeding

Post by Rohail Asad »

Breeding of Amaryllis is really a fun of gardening and it also increases the number of plants with different colours and shapes, hope that it is a very joyful exprience for you when they starts blooming.
your efforts and experience sharing of Amaryllis Breeding is encouraging us.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Amaryllis Breeding

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Rohail Asad wrote:Breeding of Amaryllis is really a fun of gardening and it also increases the number of plants with different colours and shapes, hope that it is a very joyful exprience for you when they starts blooming.
your efforts and experience sharing of Amaryllis Breeding is encouraging us.
I am trying to allure you.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”