Donor

Re: Calla lily care

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Mine did not sprout. :evil:
KAMasud
City: RawalPindi

Post by KAMasud »

There is a Calla lilly which is grown from seeds. Its F1 and very temperamental. Wont stand the heat like the Far Eastern ones and hates frost. Tender, loving, care required. Good luck with the baby sitting.
Regards.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Callas are very beautiful.i have seen their beauty in CMH,Kohat.i tried them in my home but they sprout,grow to some extent,turns yellow without any flowers & ends up.Haris what is the secret of it.i want to grow the white giants in open ground.Actually i want them to naturalize them.leaving them un disturb for years.bulbs give only good impact when they are planted in mases.
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

Yes Umar Sahab you are very right regarding the beauty of mass plantation of bulbs especially calla. I have also seen a similar sight in Islamabad at a friends place. I tired them both yellow and white ones before in ground but before they could bloom bulbs started rotting due to heavy monsoon showers. I am not sure about Mardan but here I would prefer growing them in pots, it is easy to take care of them by controlling soil conditions. I dont have a very good record of growing beautiful callas. This one is from Pride seeds,Lahore and hopefully purple in color. Its been almost 2.5 month since I planted it but still it has not flowered. I must say this bulb is very heat tolerant as it happily survived direct sunlight in temps above 45 C. Lets see when it blooms !
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

My all dormant Callas are coming back to life... they will be soon transferred in beds...
haris.kabir
City: Rawalpindi

Post by haris.kabir »

Izhar I would like to know last year what was the size of your white calla bulb. That was one giant beautiful healthy white Calla. Mash Allah :) What fertilizers you used ? and how much sunlight ?
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Izhar how can i naturalize the giant whites.i only like the white callas,they are truly majestic.
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

The tuber of white calla was around 1 inch in diameter when it was planted.. now its 3x bigger and produced 4 pups.. they all stopped growing during the summers so i lifted them from the bed and put them in pots, watering once a week, foliage died shortly, all multiplied.. apart from the manure, which i always mix in any bed preparation, i used DAP in very small quantity.. they were under full sun whole day no shade at all...

Umar they grew nicely during Karachi's winter season and became dormant during summer.. i dont know how they will behave in your area which is way much cooler then ours during winter...

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”