Moderator: Izhar

Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor
City: Darwin
Gardening Interests: Bulbs, Tubers, Climbers, Annuals, Orchids,

Re: Glads in pots

Post by Syed Adnan »

Glads multiply very fast and glad corm can produce flower for many years !

Moreover see my following reply on your post:

To get going I have been gifted about 50 corms 2 inch dia and smaller, I have no idea what variety they are. (variety is not easy to judge by bulbs shape but some experts can judge the color, red variety has a tint of red in bulbs whereas white variety has bulbs yellowish color (not dark i mean); less than 2 inch might not produce bloom this year, but will increase in size and bloom in coming seasons)

The pots are out, I must plant them in the ground 6 inches apart.(ground is preffered over pots, i suggest you to not put all in pots but try to devide them and put some in ground as well)

As the foliage dies I should dig the corms wash and dry them before storage. ( no need to wash just wipe the dirt off and store at room temp in a dark closet in cardboard box ; can also be hanged in net, preferrably a room with AC, you will see 10 t o15 cormlets with the bulbs, donot separate them at this stage, next year plant the corm shallow so as cormlets can flourish as well, after 2 years separate the cormlets from mother so make them ready to bloom next season)

Storage at room temp or in a fridg? (donot put in fridge , glads are not winter hardy)

I also want to purchase some new corms, red, yellow and white, tall having large flowers, what variety and size of corm do you recommend? ( check my post above)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Thank you
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Sir i have pasted some information about Glads in the Gardening Books & Brochure section. Amsterdam and White Prosperty cultivars in white colour are mostly imported by growers based in Pakistan.
UMARKHANMARDAN
City: MARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Adnan Nova Lux was my favorite yellow when i used to grow Glads.I used to grow some 15 colors in 1998.Still Glad is my favorite bulb.Another color which i really liked was Oscar.The giants are best.Adnan i used to purchase Glads from Awan comitte chowk, Rwp but now they don,t import those colors.Green wood picker,Pink glory,Arabian night still i remember the names of some varieties.Now i don,t have that love for bulbs.Awan used to sale it for RS 12 at that time.Now we they are offering only the six local prepared bulbs.So i left growing glads.
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Oh Adnan you have given a list of some of the finest varieties First Kiss is fantastic variety.Welldone & you are really arousing the sparks i have for this bulb.Its better than the Tulips,Dutch Iris,Fretellarias even the Daffos can not compete its beauty.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor

Post by Syed Adnan »

@ Umer Khan:

You are right, this bulb is real beauty, and very rewarding in our climate, i dont purchase from local vendors of PAK, they are not selling the true varieties and often corms with low quality, mostly i purchase from e-bay, or try to get from abroad. Presently i am working on growing cormlets and getting blooms from them, my glads do produce 30 to 50 cormlets every year , but i couldn't succeed in keeping them alive, success rate is like 10%, do you have any experience on how to work with cormlets ?
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

Adnan yes its very true that the local vendors are no more selling the true varieties.Thatas my point that in 90,s they used to import the real stock.
Adnan i used make three classes of corms once the foliage become brown.I used to seperate the largest for next year flowering.The medium & the small i used to plant in separate rows.Actually corm gives you the desired result after 3 years.The largest can bear upto 15 flowers per spike.One thing i noted that many varieties changed colors latter on.Mostly they converted to white,yellow or pink.Specially the dark purple colors.
Feed cormlets with DAP specially if can find out fetilizers developed for potatos.This fasten the growth development.
For flowering glads NPK is best with higher potash.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Forgetting the advice of friends I am planting them in 24 inch Piala pots and quite crowded too. One batch was planted on 1st and second on 15th of Nov. the third will be planted on 1st of Dec. and last on 15th (one learns only from ones own mistakes).
Arif
UMARKHANMARDAN

Post by UMARKHANMARDAN »

24 Inch Piala me bhut maza kare ga Glad.The giants look so beautiful in clumps.
Syed Adnan
Donor
Donor

Post by Syed Adnan »

Brig. Sb. What is the source of Glads Corms ?

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”