Clivia bulbs

Moderator: Izhar

tweedle2009
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Re: Clivia bulbs

Post by tweedle2009 »

They are ideally suited to Rawalpindi and islamabad.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Tahir Khan wrote:Hi every1! im planning to buy some clivias and agapanthus from chanan din seeds through mail order, do you recommend them in the temperature of rawalpindi. i've never grown thme before please need good advice about it's care and planting instructions :?
Welcome back Tahir khan. Great to see you back :D . Do not buy from Chanan din, they have bad reputation. Try to buy from some other vendor. I do not think this is the best time to plant agapanthus. Severe hot temperatures affect agapanthus i have tried it in lahore. Best bet is to plant it in fall and before summer the plant will be established enough to face summer heat. But i am no agapanthus expert, some other gardener might have different experience.
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

tweedle2009 wrote:They are ideally suited to Rawalpindi and islamabad.
I had always thought the Rawalpindi climate is very similar to lahore. But Brig Arif also mentioned it somewhere. How does it differ from lahore?
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

khabbab wrote:
tweedle2009 wrote:They are ideally suited to Rawalpindi and islamabad.
I had always thought the Rawalpindi climate is very similar to lahore. But Brig Arif also mentioned it somewhere. How does it differ from lahore?
TULIPS are wild in Islamabad and not seen in Lahore.
Heinie
City: Cape Town
Gardening Interests: I grow Clivias, Daylilies and numerous bulbs from the Amaryllidaceae family.

Post by Heinie »

This topic is over one year old but I can still give some advice to grow Clivia successfully. Clivias will not tolerate sun but grow well in shade as well as deep shade. They can tolerate high temperatures but never water them during the day when it is too hot. Do not cool the leaves by spraying water over them or severe damage will be caused. In our summer my shade houses reach temperatures of up to 44 degrees Celsius.

I grow my show and best plants in Shade houses. Here is a photo of my large shade house.

Seedlings in large shade house

Clivias planted in the garden under huge shade trees

Plant them in very well draining growing medium. I use pine bark and here is a photo to get an idea of the size of bark as well as an idea of drainage. With this medium I water well ever 10 days. In compost you can water every 3 to 4 weeks for mature plants.

The roots are very fleshy and hold a lot of water.

One of my show Clivia named Ice Cream

Show Clivia Grand Juane

You can please ask any questions regarding the growing of Clivia and I will help where I can. I have a lot of Clivia seeds that matured from last year that I am willing to send to one person so that person can distribute some seeds to other interested parties. You decide and let me have a name and address to send them to at no cost. You can contact me on this forum or privately on poussion@telkomsa.net. I hope the moderators approve of the offer.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Thankyou Sir for lovely tips. Good to have you on the forum

From your discussion it appears Cilvias should do good in our hot climate, if we follow your advice.
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

Thanks Heinie for the offer. Farhan maybe you or Khabbab can PM your address to Heinie for the seeds. I'm sure a lot of members will be interested. I will be out of the country for a few weeks otherwise I would. I think we need to consider growing clivia after these encouraging arguments. They are probably the best plants to have for our shady areas since even when without flowers they are extremely beautiful. Heinie I have a few clivias but its been almost 2 years and no bloom. I have them in sand and peat moss and keep them absolutely dry in winter months except for natural rain. I am not too impressed since they have not grown as much as I was expecting them to. Do you recommend any fertilizer? When?
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

dr sb they take 6 years to flower from seeds and often more than 6 ..a long time wait
aykhan
Donor
Donor

Post by aykhan »

That long!!!!
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Heinie...That is a very generous offer. I will PM you my address for collection and then distributing them among other members and some for our Welfare seed bank as well. On other hand we will be obliged if we can reciprocate by sending you some seeds of your interests. Looking forward.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”