Viable Tubers for Our Climate

Moderator: Izhar

Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Re: Viable Tubers for Our Climate

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:The offer is for all members as I have yet to plant many larg/small bulbs.
thank you sir you always delight us with such beautiful offers.i am also in search of sea Pancratium and crinums.so please sir give me few bulbs how can i collect these.
Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

For your information Origion of tulip is from Islamabad up north to Afghanistan.
Sir i have seen some tulips growing in homes in Islamabad...Maybe they are the wild tulips of hilly northern areas of Pakistan. The Dutch tulips i have tried in Rawalpindi didn't bloom as we have the same weather as Islamabad...Maybe the wild ones will bloom.
Tahir Khan
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Post by Tahir Khan »

Sir please consider me as well for Pancratium and Crinum Milk and wine lily if possible.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

The weather in Islamabad and Lahore is not ideal for tulips. They would require chilling and at best may bloom for a few days. Quetta may be more ideal for them. There are two varieties of tulips which grow in the wild in Pakistan. Tulipa Lemanniana in yellow and red colour grow indigenously in some parts of Baluchistan. They can be seen in Chiltan national Park in Baluchistan. Other variety is Tulipa Stellata which grow in certains parts of Murree.

Eremerus or Foxtail lily is not suitable for Lahore. Eremurus stenophyllus (yellow) grow wild on mountain side on the way to Ziarat.
mikhurram
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Rose, Iris, Daylilies, Bulbs, Rhizomes, Perennial flowers & Fragrant plants.

Post by mikhurram »

Another indigenous variety of foxtail lily is Eremurus himalaicus (Desert Candle) found in cold dry desert like regions of Baluchistan around Ziarat.
Hamad
Donor
Donor
City: Wah Cantt
Gardening Interests: all kind of plants

Post by Hamad »

Thank you all again, the response has been overwhelming, but more input is requested as I want to compile the final list with the details, please do consider the final list and share the information that you have .

Thanking you in anticipation

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Hamad wrote:Thank you all again, the response has been overwhelming, but more input is requested as I want to compile the final list with the details, please do consider the final list and share the information that you have .

Hamad
Dear Hamad, Ref. your PM.
If you are aiming to become BULB MAN of Wah or Pakistan then the effort is understandable, otherwise all your available space may not be enough for all the varieties of Canna grown in Pakistan.
Two decades ago I was almost in the same state of mind, now I grow only what interests me the most.
I do not think I can be of much help to you.
Regards
Arif
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:
Hamad wrote:Thank you all again, the response has been overwhelming, but more input is requested as I want to compile the final list with the details, please do consider the final list and share the information that you have .

Hamad
Dear Hamad, Ref. your PM.
If you are aiming to become BULB MAN of Wah or Pakistan then the effort is understandable, otherwise all your available space may not be enough for all the varieties of Canna grown in Pakistan.
Two decades ago I was almost in the same state of mind, now I grow only what interests me the most.
I do not think I can be of much help to you.
Regards
Arif
Arif sb I would not be able to collect all of them and obviously out of each Tuber I would not be able to have all the varieties, as if we consider Amaryllis it has many colours and types it’s even hard to have all Amaryllis for one then how can I have all the tubers and then all the types of them.

If you refer to the start of this thread I initiated to get the information for a few Tubers that I fancy but later with the interest of the fellow members I decided to compile a list of Tubers that could be grown in Pakistan so that it will not only help me but others including guest visitors and now we have around 50 Tubers in our list and not all of them are my favourite or I may not be growing all of them, I will pick few of my choice and then experiment with them and same could apply to the rest of the members and visitors this is a Viable Tubers list pick up your choice of Tubers and try to grow them the thought behind this list is to help others and myself so that instead of wasting the time and money on something that is not meant for our climate.

And as Khabbab sb suggested that this list should be divided into three categories and also require some more relevant information like regional and growing guide, and the turn up has been overwhelming and I m looking forward to my experienced and knowledgeable members to help me a little more to finalise this list.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92
omer
Gardening Interests: Nothing feels better than a well maintained beautiful garden

Post by omer »

dear hamad, I want to grow tulips (or similar) looking plants in my garden. fragrant plants as well. I'm based in Rawalpindi. Can you help? I'll pay the fee for seeds and courier. Thanks.
Hamad
Donor
Donor

Post by Hamad »

omer wrote:
dear hamad, I want to grow tulips (or similar) looking plants in my garden. fragrant plants as well. I'm based in Rawalpindi. Can you help? I'll pay the fee for seeds and courier. Thanks.
Omer if you are a beginner then I would recommend you to go for easy growing flowers, in near future Daffodil (Gul-e-Nargis), Gladiolus, Ranunculus and Amaryllis and later it will be Freesia, few are fragrant like Gul-e-Nargis and Freesia, the few are not. and the best place to find these plants is "Peshawar more Islamabad" and if you want to grow some Annuals from seed then its also the right time to plan, make a list and buy the seeds, for Annuals you can consult the Spring Annual list in knowledge hub under growing guide.

for further assistance you can ask any time, I will try my level best to help.

Hamad
PrOud tO BE Oo92

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”