Turmeric Harvest!!

Moderator: Izhar

Tahir Khan
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Cacti and Succulents, Annuals, Bulbous plants

Turmeric Harvest!!

Post by Tahir Khan »

A week back i harvested Fresh turmeric from a 12 inch container..
Attachments
Photo0749 (FILEminimizer).jpg
The most bottom rhizome is the original piece.<br />The top two pieces are the new formed rhizomes.
The most bottom rhizome is the original piece.
The top two pieces are the new formed rhizomes.
This is the whole clump
This is the whole clump
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Turmeric Harvest!!

Post by M Farooq »

Tahir Khan wrote:A week back i harvested Fresh turmeric from a 12 inch container..
Lovely! There is no substitute for unadulterated haldi. How will grind it into a powder? I have heard that dried tumeric root is very hard.
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

M Farooq wrote:
Tahir Khan wrote:A week back i harvested Fresh turmeric from a 12 inch container..
Lovely! There is no substitute for unadulterated haldi. How will grind it into a powder? I have heard that dried tumeric root is very hard.
Thank you Farooq sb, we use it freshly grind this adds more zest and flavor to curries :D
Izhar
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant plants, shade gardening, bulbous plants, annuals

Post by Izhar »

Well done Tahir :)... we also use a lot of home grown turmeric and actually we find the flavor a bit different from the dried ones bought from market...
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

Izhar wrote:Well done Tahir :)... we also use a lot of home grown turmeric and actually we find the flavor a bit different from the dried ones bought from market...
Yes Izhar bhai fresh turmeric is more flavourful than the dried, colour is more intense as well :)
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Good that today we are talking of veggies also. I have observed that there is rather less coverage/discussion of veggies (& fruits) on this Forum.May be not many members are interested or engaged in this important activity.Though not most members need it from savings point of view,yet the importance & need of maintaining a Kitchen Garden can't be over-emphasised. I ll not dwell here on this further, but only request the more learned/in touch members( like the worthy Moderator) to occasionaly keep injecting information on this subject, to promote Kitchen Gardening & to keep the interest alive. Surly, it is no less interesting & joyful .
Turning back to turmeric, isn't it the right time to grow it. Since it is not commonly grown, it ll be nice if some one could list some guidlines/tips for those interested in giving it a try,to make it a more productive exercise. Happy (kitchen) gardening!!

I
Tahir Khan

Post by Tahir Khan »

munir wrote:Good that today we are talking of veggies also. I have observed that there is rather less coverage/discussion of veggies (& fruits) on this Forum.May be not many members are interested or engaged in this important activity.Though not most members need it from savings point of view,yet the importance & need of maintaining a Kitchen Garden can't be over-emphasised. I ll not dwell here on this further, but only request the more learned/in touch members( like the worthy Moderator) to occasionaly keep injecting information on this subject, to promote Kitchen Gardening & to keep the interest alive. Surly, it is no less interesting & joyful .
Turning back to turmeric, isn't it the right time to grow it. Since it is not commonly grown, it ll be nice if some one could list some guidlines/tips for those interested in giving it a try,to make it a more productive exercise. Happy (kitchen) gardening!!

I
Munir sb Turmeric can be easily grown in containers or in open soils,

the requirement is just that they need lot and lots of water if in containers, they don't like being dried out, :geek:

buy fresh turmeric from street hawkers, select the ones that has lots of eyes or growing points to increase success rate..

place them flat in a container or open ground and bury them 4-6 inches deep and water freely in container but according to need in the ground and within a month the shoots will start to emerge

when growth starts fertilize them with tiny amounts of DAP fertilizer. :)

P.S. Fresh turmeric is available from street hawkers in Raja Bazar, Rawalpindi if they are standing there and waiting for customers :D .... rate is usually 100 rupees/kg.
Munir
Donor
Donor
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: Ornamental Plants,Vines,Annuals,Herbs,Veggies & Fruit Trees.
New Love: Roses & Lilies

Post by Munir »

Thank you, Tahir sb.

Return to “Bulbs, Corms, Rhizomes and Tubers”