Aspire to have a green thumb and need your help!

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

babygreenthumb
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Goal: to have my own vegetable/herb garden and would appreciate any tips from you lovely folks!

Aspire to have a green thumb and need your help!

Post by babygreenthumb »

Hello everyone! Wishing you all a good sunday!

I have always wanted to take up gardening, however I have zero experience/knowledge when it comes to gardening. I've even killed two cacti. I've been searching the internet but I am getting a bit confused with all the information and would appreciate your help!

So I live in Lahore and have been thinking about starting with growing some lettuce come january. I started today by checking the soil of different areas in the garden, which I did by grabbing a few jars and using my hands to scoop handfuls of mud into the jars (different jar for each area) and then I added water and shook it, removed the lid and have left it to stand. I think It's been a couple of hours but I think I added too much water, or the soil at my house doesn't drain well, or that the gardener just watered the soil in the morning.

I will be preparing a ground area for the planting of lettuce seeds next weekend with my gardener, and would like step by step tips on what to do with the soil, which includes what to put in it. I read online that it is good to prepare the ground some time before planting the seeds. I don't trust my gardener because our previous vegetables have died so I am not sure he is aware of things such as soil pH level etc., which is why I need your folks' help.

Please let me know what I should be looking out for like the Lahori summer heat, and type of soil, where and how to plant seeds! I would greatly appreciate it :)
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Re: Aspire to have a green thumb and need your help!

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Baby green thumb, Welcome.
Last edited by khabbab on November 24th, 2014, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khabbab
Founder
Founder
Gardening Interests: Climbers, fragrant plants, drought tolerant plants, container plants

Post by khabbab »

Welcome to the forum. You will find most of your answers by searching the forum. Lahore summer heat is killer heat. Try to shade in afternoon in summer. Water regularly in summers, You may have to do it almost daily in May and June. Regarding soil, you can get good nehri soil from nurseries, mix some leaf compost or other compost and use it. Enjoy the forum :) !!!
Lahore gardening blog
http://www.lahoregardening.com
Asim_Nawaz
Gardening Interests: Vegetables and Flowering Plants, Grafted Cactus & Succulent Plant, Grow seeds on Rockwool.

Post by Asim_Nawaz »

Dear Friend
For Soil PH problem, you can use "Soil liquid" that can maintain your Soil as well as Water PH level.

Return to “Introduction”