Hello from Switzerland

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

pajoojo
City: Lausanne

Hello from Switzerland

Post by pajoojo »

Hello everybody,

I live in Switzerland and have passion for tropical fruits, spices and incense plants. I cultivate in greenhouses about 300 different species of tropical plants. If I came on this forum, this is because my prefered fruit is ....mango and especially pakistan varieties as Chaunsa and Sindhri. In my mind they are the most tasty ones, never tried better. We import a lot from now to august from Pakistan. I can eat 2-3kg per day it's so tasty that I can't resist.

I'm looking since 5 years to find a tree here in EU or in US or also in Pakistan, but totaly impossible!

So, if someone knows where I could find a small grafted tree?

An other solution should to find some cuttings from mangoes to send them and graft them here (I sow seeds from Sindhri and Chaunsa that I have eaten and they are growing), so if someone is interested to do some exchanges or just "charity" :D !!! (try it because doing charity to a swiss guy is I think a really interesting experiment which will not occure many times :mrgreen: )

I'm very happy to discovered this website (in english) and curious to see how you are living and your relation with your garden.

See you soon, and bravo to you Pakistanis, to give to the world this fruit!!!
I'm looking to exchange or buy scions of Honey mango: Sindh, Langra, Chaunsa, Ratool,...
pajoojo

Re: Hello from Switzerland

Post by pajoojo »

I didn't precised, I'm greek-french and swiss (3 identities)

So, one picture from Greece (Crete, the biggest island from Greece). You can see the harbour in front and back the mountains with snow:

Aegean sea, the most beautifull sea for me!

Switzerland, Lake Leman (=Lake of Geneva), near my home:

I'm looking to exchange or buy scions of Honey mango: Sindh, Langra, Chaunsa, Ratool,...
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

Welcome to the forum.
We are proud of our mangos and there is a history behind it. My family has grown mangos for the last two hundred years.
I live in Lahore Pakistan, the climatic changes have slowly shifted the mango belt to South West, and so our mango orchards became un-productive. There are about four hundred registered varieties of mangos. We had almost all good varieties of Mangoes. The latest additions were by me from Dhaka in 1964 (East Pakistan).
AS not enough grafted plant were available people started sowing seeds. These orchards from seeds produced some wonderful varieties. Unfortunately the process is reversed now only commercially profitable few varieties are now cultivated.
Try Anwar Ratol and Dusehri for flavours ,if you can find them.
pajoojo

Post by pajoojo »

Dear Muhammad,

It's very interesting. Unfortunnately we don't import Anwar Ratol and Dusehri, probably because it doesn't travel so good as Sindhri/Chaunsa??
aykhan
Donor
Donor
City: Lahore

Post by aykhan »

Welcome to the forum. Everyone loves mangoes here. Brig saheb is right, Anwar Ratol and Dasehri are also exceptional but nothing can beat the Chaunsa from my perspective. The Sindhri is fifth or sixth from the top taste wise. I do not think the seeds will be true to the fruit. They have to be grafted plants. Not sure how we can help you but post this request on the questions and problems page and I'm sure someone will have an idea of how to get the plant through to you. Shipping should not be an issue I think but the likely phytosanitary requirements for Switzerland will be.
Muhammad Arif Khan
Donor
Donor

Post by Muhammad Arif Khan »

As I hinted, the seedlings at times are more rewarding. Where do you plan to plant, at your island or in Swis mountain. The may fruit at first place but not the second.
pajoojo

Post by pajoojo »

Hello,

So I sowed some mangoes from Pakistan and Perou. The problem is I need scions to graft them. To be sure to have the true variety (and a good taste).

We can find in EU some mangoes varieties (Thailand or Indian), but not from Pakistan and as I told you in my mind they are just on the top of quality.

Scions can travel for some days if they are packed in a plastic bag (well closed) with a ball of wet paper inside to guarantee enough humidity.

Here is an Alphonso I grafted from my grafted mother tree

Here are the scions, about 20cm, green and rigid, leaves are taken off.

then put them in a plastic bag with a wet paper ball, close it hermetically and put all in a newspaper, buble plastic, and put it in a sandwich between two pieces of cartons.

Plants are not growing outside (we had 19°C below 0 this winter!!!), but I have a greenhouse (glasshouse).

Phytosanitary is not a problem, if you send few material.

Thank you for your helpfull!
tweedle2009
Donor
Donor

Post by tweedle2009 »

welcome aboard.
Bilal
City: Doha
Gardening Interests: Fruit Farming / Kitchen Gardening / Ornamental

Post by Bilal »

Hi, quite delighted to see the appreciation of pakistani mangoes.

I belong to Multan, which is home to the best of mangoes. I am currently living in Qatar but can arrange grafts of good varieties of Chaunsa or Sindhri for you but would be able to do that only when i go back on annual vacation probably towards the end of year.
I'll try to re-connect with you that time again to get guidelines as to what exactly do you want.

Sorry but can't really do much for the time being while sitting here in Qatar. Meanwhile I wish some of my pakistani fellows help you out with this. I will also check with my friends if they can send it to you for me.
Cheers

Bilal Shahid
NaziaShakeel

Post by NaziaShakeel »

pajoojo welcome to this forum, and you live in really beautiful country, i am fascinated with the images you have share...

Return to “Introduction”