Looking for wild strawberry in Pakistan

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

akheilos
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: More interested in agricultural research...

Re: Looking for wild strawberry in Pakistan

Post by akheilos »

Muhammad Arif Khan wrote:My dear Akheilos
I am very sorry that members of this forum have dis appointed you, after all we are all home gardeners trying to make our surroundings more beautiful.
Dont get me wrong no one disappointed me.....

I am only asking around regarding Pakistani wild strawberries and was told to ask on this forum...
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote: You talk of coming to Pakistan were as you give an impression of living in Islamabad.
I didnt think my location or domicile would cause soo much confusion....
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote: I personally feel you have behaved rudely and arrogantly to friends who were trying to help you earnestly.
I am sorry I am neither rude nor arrogant....I have thanked the member who showed me pix ....
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote: I have a very HIGH opinion of PHD in Agriculture,They have a tunnelled vision and have done nothing substantial in any Agri field for Pakistan.
Show me where I may have remotely even written this....or even hinted this! Had I this attitude believe me I wouldnt be on a forum asking around...Kindly do show me where I behaved or showed this attitude that has left an every lasting impression in your mind!

Furthermore, I NEVER said I have a PhD in Agriculture ....I am a PhD STUDENT meaning I am still doing my PhD....And I am well aware a person with a PhD is still human and doesnt know all the knowledge on the planet!
Muhammad Arif Khan wrote: You are from Islamabad, how many type of grasses grow in Islamabad.
Arif
Had I the full knowledge of flora in Pakistan I wouldnt be going on a forum asking around now would I?
2ndly, I know not much about Pakistani grassland or anything hence my inquires about Pakistani flora....specific to strawberry as it is my research topic and I wish to research on Pakistani strawberry....

BUT before ANY research is started, a brief background is necessary and a research question is formulated....Since I DONT KNOW about the strawberries in Pakistan, hence my presence here and asking around..
M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

akheilos wrote: BUT before ANY research is started, a brief background is necessary and a research question is formulated....Since I DONT KNOW about the strawberries in Pakistan, hence my presence here and asking around..
Dear Mr. Akheilos, There is no need to write in capital letters and be loud in writing. All of us were trying to help you. I find your last reply inappropriate especially with senior members like Brig. Arif sahab who happens to be 4 times your age. As you said you don't know about the strawberries of Pakistan, the first step is that you search in professional journals rather than "asking around". Did you bother to properly check how many Fragaria sp are known in our region? Something as simple as Google scholar shows up plenty of scientific studies to begin with for a serious scholar
e.g. Himalayan species of Fragaria (Rosaceae) at
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/s ... 4/art00005
Good luck.
Usama
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Plants, Roses, vines, Pruning & Training

Post by Usama »

Things escalate far too quickly over here...
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

Happens with most public forums lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

M Farooq wrote: Dear Mr. Akheilos, There is no need to write in capital letters and be loud in writing. All of us were trying to help you. I find your last reply inappropriate especially with senior members like Brig. Arif sahab who happens to be 4 times your age. As you said you don't know about the strawberries of Pakistan, the first step is that you search in professional journals rather than "asking around". Did you bother to properly check how many Fragaria sp are known in our region? Something as simple as Google scholar shows up plenty of scientific studies to begin with for a serious scholar
e.g. Himalayan species of Fragaria (Rosaceae) at
Good luck.
Its not loud its emphasis....
Plus I am a little annoyed with the usage of this platform :)

Yes I know you all are trying to be helpful and as per my knowledge I have not been rude in any way.

Professional journals with corresponding email addresses havent replied to me in 1 yr ...I dont expect much from those with that much enthusiasm!

Before telling me I am inappropriate may I suggest you take a look at your own language...I have underlined it so you can reflect on it!

In fact the whole last bit of your post is rather rude (that is if you take by the standards you measured my post with).

I have been direct and to the point so as not to waste people's time as I am sure many have better things to do then me wasting paras on flattering or buttering something that I have no idea of....It doesnt work that way in the rest of the world...

As for google scholar, If I didnt know there is something worth asking, why would I be asking about it?

The problem with some of the journals is no proper molecular work has been done to really distinguish fragaria into different species/types/ accessions....Those people who did some work on "morphology" never replied to me when I asked for samples (as any lab in Europe does). Those who did diversity works never replied to me regarding their details of their findings...Maybe people are either not interested/ lazy or just wanting extra buttering before wanting to collaborate into a field that is not developed in Pakistan! I dont know what the problem is...

My previous supervisor (MSc supervisor) had problems getting collaboration and she is a researcher in UK...You would think if anyone would be thrilled to collaborate with labs in Europe....But no so when my PhD supervisor pushed me forward I didnt ask if he tried...I assumed he had and failed as my previous supervisor...

So like people in other parts of Europe are doing, getting community involved I was asked to post on this thread as the people here are enthusiasts irrespective of wanting to be raised on a podium of some form.

I hope that clarifies as to why I am on a forum to get in touch with people who care and know about nature as compared to people who sit in offices and cant reply mails...I have nothing against the latter but it is surprising that when opportunity knocks on your door one would assume you would open it (talking about the researchers we tried to write to where we is my previous supervisor and me) !
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

Usama wrote:Things escalate far too quickly over here...
Yea didnt expect it to go that way...If a gora speaks up front and directly even if he is insulting I have seen desi smile but god forbid a desi speaks directly to save your time :(
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

M Farooq wrote: e.g. Himalayan species of Fragaria (Rosaceae) at
Good luck.
Thank you for the link but the article is from 2006...I have written to people who published in 2014 and they didnt reply so I am not sure how to trace one from that long....

My only reason to be here is because I am interested in wild strawberries and best way to get to them is by locals!
talha.bin.ayub

Post by talha.bin.ayub »

There r only 62 of the 200 million locals chilling on this forum. Might I suggest u contact NARC. They have a gene bank of all the available fruiting plants, incl strawberries, indigenous to Pak as well as many from across the world.

http://www.parc.gov.pk/index.php/en/201 ... -islamabad

Cheers!

akheilos

Post by akheilos »

talha.bin.ayub wrote:There r only 62 of the 200 million locals chilling on this forum. Might I suggest u contact NARC. They have a gene bank of all the available fruiting plants, incl strawberries, indigenous to Pak as well as many from across the world.

http://www.parc.gov.pk/index.php/en/201 ... -islamabad

Cheers!

And I repeat myself again....I contacted a number of people who are working on Strawberry....or who have published since the last 5 yrs (just to make sure they are not retired). And PARC was one of the 1st I did contact who never responded back.

I am absolutely disgusted with the lack of interest of "experts" to collaborate hence why I asked for enthusiasts who would be interested in actually explaining if they saw something (This is commonly done in Europe that you ask the local population).

If PARC had been helpful (which you can google) there is no reason I should be on this forum, right?
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

I am not looking for someone to clearly identify the species for me. If it they can that is a plus point....All I need to know is how further up north (altitude) and also Latitude wise have strawberries been seen? I am also interested in their flowering timing - say for instance when someone was up there on a nature trail ....

There were publications about F. nubicola and Fragaria daltoniana however, so far no one actually did a full scale molecular study of the ones in Pakistan. The ones that are reported in Western journals are based on collection collected by an explorer sometime in the 60s. He brought to Europe a handful of different exotic Pakistani species. I have worked with Pakistani barley and now strawberry.....we have god gifted natural stuff that is interesting but only if people (researchers and scientists cooperate)..We have held Rosaceae conferences and I am yet to see a Pakistani participate in one...

F. bucharica which has been documented in China but someone mentioned it in Pakistan (in some thesis article) hence my supervisor's interest rose as to what else maybe in Pakistan....Some of these species are relatively similar and molecular tests are the only way to be 100% sure they are different...

Return to “Introduction”