Looking for wild strawberry in Pakistan

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

akheilos
City: Islamabad
Gardening Interests: More interested in agricultural research...

Re: Looking for wild strawberry in Pakistan

Post by akheilos »

Pictures of the flower would be helpful right now the leaves def look like Strawberry but unfortunately that area has alo of berries which include mock berries

Wild Strawberries Poisonous? Careful When Foraging..

June 1, 2014

They grow along sunny banks and sprawl among the forest’s edge. They may even be right in your own backyard. Yet many people don’t realize that wild strawberries are edible and delicious. As a matter of fact, I’ve even heard people warn that they’re poisonous.

Today, I’m here to set the record straight; because it would be such a shame if you never enjoyed these delicious ruby treats due to an unfortunate misconception.

Wild Strawberries are totally edible, and highly nutritious.

However, you must also know that they have a deceptive look-alike: Mock Strawberry. Also called Indian Strawberry, “false strawberry”, or “wood strawberry”.

Don’t be alarmed. Mock Strawberries aren’t poisonous. So if you accidentally misidentify them, you’ll live to tell the tale. Unless you have a strawberry allergy, which is a whole different story. The main difference in the varieties is that Mock Strawberries don’t really have any taste or smell. True wild strawberries will taste and smell like the strawberries you grow in your garden.

Identification
There are a couple of quick ways to tell if what you’re looking at is a wild strawberry or an imposter.

1. Check out the color of the blossoms.
mock strawberries

Although the leaves look nearly identical, mock strawberries have yellow blossoms.

wild strawberries
True Wild Strawberries have white blossoms, just like the garden variety.

2. How are the berries positioned?
mock strawberries
Mock Strawberries point straight up toward the sky.

wild strawberries
Wild strawberries dangle on the vine.

3. Do the crush test.
wild strawberries
If you come upon a patch of strawberries without any remaining blossoms for identification, and you just aren’t sure if they’re mock or true, do the crush test.

Squish a berry between your fingers and smell it. It should smell like a strawberry. If it has no scent, it’s probably a mock strawberry. Feel free to taste it to see if it has any flavor as well. Sometimes your nose can be tricky, and isn’t always a reliable identifier. If it tastes good, collect as many as you can and enjoy them fresh or in your favorite strawberry dessert.

http://theprepperproject.com/wild-strawberries/
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

yawer wrote:one more picture of the wild strawberry, (kindly see it is my assumption that it was wild strawberry, correct me if I am wrong ! It had a nice taste)
P7244533.jpg

I was just reading some article and F.bucharica is found in Nathiagali, Pakistan, near Raspberries.......
akheilos

Post by akheilos »

I will download the pix and ask my supervisor...Thank you!

Return to “Introduction”