introduction

New members introduce here. Tell us what you are growing, your interests and where you are growing.

Moderator: Izhar

Madiha Humbal
City: Karachi

introduction

Post by Madiha Humbal »

ASSALM O ALAIKUM to all. i am a new member of the forum, and new to gardening as well. please advise me what kind of herbs can i grow in my kitchen and where do i get the best kind of seeds for them. please also tell me if we can grow blue berries in karachi. i dont have a garden myself. but my relatives do and we cant plant the blue berry bushes there. also where might i find the seeds for blue berries here.
thank you.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Re: introduction

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Welcome

Herb Seeds are easily available in empress market. Saeed Ghani store........infact some herbs seed are already there in kitchen like coriander, nigella etc

As you are new how about going to nursery and looking for some grown up plants. Some herbs are not easy to start.
Rosemary
Celery
Brocolli
Dill
Kari Patta
Lemon Grass
Basil

and its a huge list

Blueberry will not grow well in Karachi. Useless effort.
Mustansir Billah
Gardening Interests: Roses Fragrant plants vegetable plants and fruit plants.

Post by Mustansir Billah »

You can also check herbs seeds for shops infront of Askari park.
M Farooq
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Post by M Farooq »

Welcome.

Things to consider for your kitchen garden.

1)Area
2)Amount of sunlight i.e. how many hours/day?

This will dictate what can be grown there.

Blue berry is for colder climates - most likely it will not survive the climate of Karachi.
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

thankyou very much for your reply. i have enought spacw on my allery or terrace as you can call it to grow plants in containers. ill try the shops you have told me about and post you the results. JAZAKALLAH
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

ASSALA_O_ALAIKUM
as i had mentioned before i am interested in growing herbs. i was not able to obtain fully grown plants therefore i opted to get the seeds. i have obtained seeds for the following herbs.
lavender
basil
oregano
thyme
red lettuce
spinach
cherry tomatoes
what i dont know is the potting mix required for these seeds. i also want to know how to maintain the tempeature requirements for the germination period. also how much time does it require for them to germinate. do they have to be sowed in the nursery pots or directly into the pots they are meant to grow in. i get eight hours of direct sunlight on my patio.
please help me as i am only a biggenner in gardening and know much about it.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

You can sow these in Fall(October-Nov) and the temperature requirements will be taken care of by themselves.
You can start with ordinary garden soil....only requirement is that it should be light and free draining i.e major part should be sandy or you can purchase sowing mix/compost available at garden centers. You may also opt for infamous Ballu Mitti available at nurseries.

Some herbs are difficult to start especially for beginners such as thyme and thyme. I recommend going for easier one in the start.
Spinach is a forage plant and would not be suitable for pots or you must have quite a few pots to be able to harvest enough for one meal.

Spinach, lettuce and oregano should be sown in situ(final location) rest can be transplanted.
Madiha Humbal

Post by Madiha Humbal »

thankyou very much for your info. can u please guide me about the time it takes for these seeds to germinate. also if it is possible that i use styrofoam glasses with drainage holes at the bottom as nursery pots for seed germination.
Farhan Ahmed

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Its not the right time at the moment.Wait till September.
Use nothing but clay pots with a large drainage hole
It appears from your other post that you have been over watering or your medium was not sterile.
IF possible share images of your previous attempt.
Seed sowing depth is very important. As a general rule seeds are sown as deep as their own size or better to sow thinly.
fizamalik
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: I am search some information here.

Post by fizamalik »

Hi friends my name is FizaMalik. i am new here i recently join this great community this is great forum to get information i read out all the threads on this forum and get pretty knowledge and also shared my knowledge in this forum....

Return to “Introduction”