Plant Database Project

Discussion & Suggestions on How to Improve Forum

Moderator: Izhar

M Farooq
City: Karachi
Gardening Interests: Fragrant Tropical Plants Ornamental Trees Vines

Re: Plant Database Project

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad Ahmed Kisana wrote:why not sir it is a noble cause for gardening in pakistan...i am ready to do any job you order... :mrgreen:but sir problem is this that we are in total dark because we don't know that what is format of form and what type of plants we will add i mean native plants of pakistan or all plants which survive in pakistan..
Please see the entries needed in my previous post. A picture is also required, ideally not lifted from the internet. Currently we do not have a facility for entering pictures, but our raw database should have it. First of all let agree on the working modality. How would you like to work? Do all of us agree that we can exchange data by having a common shared email?

Lets start with an aim of 10 random garden plants this week and see how it goes!

Hamad bhai = volunteer no. 1
Farooq = Data entry, moderation, volunteer no. 2

Who else?
Hamad Ahmed Kisana
City: Sheikhupura
Gardening Interests: Bulbs,Annuals,Perennials,Roses and Vines.

Post by Hamad Ahmed Kisana »

yes farroq bhai common email will do the job..and my question is still there about native plants or all plants which survive in atmosphere of pakistan.. :?:
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

Hamad Ahmed Kisana wrote:yes farroq bhai common email will do the job..and my question is still there about native plants or all plants which survive in atmosphere of pakistan.. :?:
I guess you are right. We would be compiling garden plants of Pakistan, regardless of their origin. Since none of us is an ethanobotanist, we cannot determine whether the plant is native or not :-)

Let see how the experiment goes. Is Word file more convenient or Excel file? I would prefer Word. But it depends on your choice.

Please PM me for the common email.

Regards.
rafique
City: Lahore
Gardening Interests: Roses

Post by rafique »

Farhan Ahmed wrote:Hamad Kisana, Rafique and Tahir? Any volunteer?
Sorry for delayed reply.
I am there for any type of help :) .
But dont have any idea what to do, Farhan sb and Frooq sb i could assist you people at my best possile capability and availability of time.
Rafique
rafique

Post by rafique »

At present i dont know much about phpbb framework, but i can design and develop simple application consisting of an input form and two or three viewing forms for this.
Tools would be mysql and php. Later on these scripts can be embeded in phpbb framework.
Rafique
M Farooq

Post by M Farooq »

rafique wrote:
Sorry for delayed reply.
But dont have any idea what to do, Farhan sb and Frooq sb i could assist you people at my best possile capability and availability of time.
Rafique shb the idea goes like this: We will slowly create a database of garden plants of Pakistan. Here are the entries for one particular plant. The aim is to have a Picture + The Following Data. It is not necessary to fill in all fields, we will add as much as we can without burden (e.g. pH range might be redundant). However correct scientific name is a must+plus a picture. The picture should not be (ideally) lifted from the internet. We will initially make a word file with the following entries and update it weekly in this forum (may be 10 plants per weeks from all contributors). You can see a new tab called FORMS, and this is where the database will be. All of this info will be shared via common email account so that everyone can see the update and activity in terms of a word file in the email. I will do the cut-paste plus moderation after weekly upload. So if you know some plants well from your collection, please join. Our current aim for trail purposes is have 10 plants this week and we will see how it goes.

The details needed are:Botanical Name
Family
Genus
Specie
Local Name
In Urdu Font Common Name
Life cycle
None selectedPerennialAnnualBiennial Cultivar Name
Flowering Months
Flower Color
Growing Areas
Name the city/cities where you have seen the plant is growing. Frost Tender
The Plants which cannot withstand frost. Yes No Exposure
Soil pH
Propagation
Uses
Description
rafique

Post by rafique »

M Farooq wrote:
rafique wrote:
Sorry for delayed reply.
Rafique shb the idea goes like this: We will slowly create a database of garden plants of Pakistan. Here are the entries for one particular plant. The aim is to have a Picture + The Following Data. It is not necessary to fill in all fields, we will add as much as we can without burden (e.g. pH range might be redundant). However correct scientific name is a must+plus a picture. The picture should not be (ideally) lifted from the internet. We will initially make a word file with the following entries and update it weekly in this forum (may be 10 plants per weeks from all contributors). You can see a new tab called FORMS, and this is where the database will be. All of this info will be shared via common email account so that everyone can see the update and activity in terms of a word file in the email. I will do the cut-paste plus moderation after weekly upload. So if you know some plants well from your collection, please join. Our current aim for trail purposes is have 10 plants this week and we will see how it goes.

The details needed are:Botanical Name
Family
Genus
Specie
Local Name
In Urdu Font Common Name
Life cycle
Flowering Months
Flower Color
Growing Areas
Soil pH
Propagation
Uses
Description
Thank you Frooq sb for detail illustration. I will start from my available plants and will visit some near by nurseries for this purpose.
Rafique
jdashraf
City: Rawalpindi
Gardening Interests: Vines, Perennial flowers and plants , fragrant flowers , bulbs

Post by jdashraf »

M Farooq wrote:Here are the entries:

Botanical Name
Family
Genus
Specie
Local Name
In Urdu Font Common Name
Life cycle
Flowering Months
Flower Color
Growing Areas
Soil pH
Propagation
Uses
Description
attribute of "Medical Use" may be included covering medical benefits as well as demerits/issues of the plant/flower. This is usually mentioned in features/characteristics of plants.
Are we defining categories, like :-
annual or perennial
type:vine, plant,bulb, shrub, etc,
flower/non-flower plant etc
This will help us in searching the desired plant..
Javed Ashraf.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

Good to see initiative.....I will leave it you guys to work out the modalities as you please. I will be giving exclusive permissions for the Form & the sub-forum to all those who have volunteered. @Hamad @Rafique and @Jdashraf.

I think when you will see the forum. You will understand that there is no need to setup a separate file for database in excel, access or word. However i do recommend that before entering the entry for any plant...one must make a draft in word as to what to write in columns like description. Pictures can be added once the entry is published. You can go to the new thread created.....click edit and paste images as we you through [img]. Its isn't a rocket science. Data Entry is easy, however accumulation of information may be tedious. We can go slow one odd entry by one member in 2/3 days will be a big leap.

I hope this helps.
Farhan Ahmed
City: Risalpur/Karachi
Gardening Interests: Annuals,Herbaceous Perennials, Landscaping,Cottage Garden

Post by Farhan Ahmed »

@Hamad, Jdashraf and Rafique.....Permission granted. Now you can access Form & the sub-forum "Flora of Pakistan"...See the sample entry in forum. Check out the form tab for data entry details.

You have permission to edit, create, delete in the said Sub-Forum

Please confirm.

Return to “Forum Improvement”